Aria is STILL dropping instruments in Finale 27

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rripani
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by rripani » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:04 pm

I have tried a lot of fixes, but Aria (apparently) is still dropping instruments in Finale 27. When I first set up instruments in Aria player, as I always have in the past, it plays fine. But after a while, some of the sounds stop playing entirely, while others continue. So, suddenly a trumpet part, for example, is not sounding, BUT it STILL shows in the mixer that there is data there.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:58 pm

ARIA Player is not fully compatible with Finale. The only solution of which I know is to change the instrument Device from Garritan to SoftSynth, play a couple of measures then change the device back to Garritan.

MIDI/Audio -> Re-assign Playback Sounds" always works, but I employ that option as a last resort, since doing so causes fingering, expressions and articulations to get scattered; and some instruments get changed, like Acoustic Bass always gets switched to Jazz Bass. I have experienced this problem since v2011 and doubt it will ever be fixed (maybe when the Pause button is made functional).

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 am

Djard wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:58 pm
ARIA Player is not fully compatible with Finale.
ARIA is made specifically for Finale! In what way is it 'not compatible'...?
rripani wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:04 pm
Aria (apparently) is still dropping instruments in Finale 27
Have you tried increasing the RAM allocation or 'disk pre-caching' in ARIA's settings? Or the buffer size in Finale's Audio Setup?

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 am

Since MakeMusic steered me away from using ARIA Player's settings and my experience with the controls being so frequently negative, I could not help concluding that ARIA Player was not fully compatible with Finale. The attached example is unedited, created with the Setup Wizard; so all the settings are at default. If you can get ARIA Player's Attack and Release in the Controls panel to work, please share.

My understanding of envelopes is that Attack and Release refer to duration of compression time of a sound; so the two controls in ARIA Player settings should be able to reduce the fade-in of the notes in "Synth Pad (warm)," at least to a perceptible degree. Turning up the Attack controller increases the attack time (longer fade-in = more time required to reach full volume). Full volume also may not be reached if the note is short. Turning up the Release controller increases the release time (longer fade-out = more time to reach end of sound). If attack is shortened by, say, 50%, the note will be released from a lower volume.

Thanks for the tip about increasing the resources in ARIA Player and Finale. I doubled the amount of all three and will see if that helps. Rather than Re-assign Playback Sounds that scatters fingering and expressions, I switch instruments back and forth; for instance, if Flute Player 1 ceases to play back, I will change it to Flute Solo, play a few bars then switch back to Flute Player 1. All will be well... until some edit causes it--or some other instrument--to be silenced.
Attachments
ARIA Player.musx
(101.07 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:43 am

Didn't we discuss that in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21429

The document you've attached comes up here with the GIFF Steinway Piano, which seems to have no controls at all for Attack and Release. (Or anything else.) But as said in the other thread, the Attack and Release controls on the Synth Pad aren't actually hooked up to anything.

Anyway, this is perhaps a different issue from rripani's problem.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 am

Yes, you kindly addressed the issue previously. I was hoping that since then an update of Garritan Instruments fixed the problem.

I think you are correct in stating that...
Djard wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:02 am
the Attack and Release controls on the Synth Pad aren't actually hooked up to anything.
So if Garritan released a fully functional ARIA Player but the controls do not work in Finale, seems that ARIA Player is not fully compatible with Finale. But then, maybe ARIA Player is unfinished software.

Thanks again for responding.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:20 am

Djard wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:42 am
So if Garritan released a fully functional ARIA Player but the controls do not work in Finale, seems that ARIA Player is not fully compatible with Finale. But then, maybe ARIA Player is unfinished software.
It's not a problem with ARIA Player. The problem is "Garritan's libraries contain some poorly defined instruments".

Each instrument defines what controls appear in the ARIA Player, and what happens when you adjust them. You can see that different instruments have different control knobs. Some have none, some have loads. The ARIA Player app just does what the instrument definition files tell it.

Garritan's Synth Pad instrument definition asks ARIA Player to display some control knobs, but has no instructions for what to do when those knobs are turned.
Other instruments have fully working Attack, Decay and Release controls.

"Not Compatible" means the design of one thing doesn't fit with the design of another. Those Synth Pad knobs won't work in any software, nor in the standalone ARIA app.

Finally, the Player app is made by another company, Plogue, for MakeMusic.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:18 pm

Thank you helping me make sense of the matter. I value your time to lend a hand.