Issue with Created Expression for Pitchbending

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Ashkon
Finale Version: Version 26.3.0.512
Operating System: Windows

Post by Ashkon » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:24 am

Hi, I searched the net and experimented for hours so here I am at last.

So I'm trying to achieve quartertone playback for individual notes. I'm able to create an expression with a pitchwheel value and another expression with a pitchwheel value of 0 to prevent other notes from being affected.

The problem is that if I assign the pitchbending expression to any note in a measure, it actually starts pitchbending from the first note of that measure.

If I assign the 0 pitchwheel value expression to the first note of that measure, it will do nothing whatsoever, the whole measure and onwards is still pitchbent.

However, if I assign the 0 pitchwheel value expression to any other note in the measure, for example he 2nd note, it WILL undo the pitchbending for that note and subsequent notes until the one assigned with pitchbend.

In short, the problem is that no matter how I try I can't prevent the first note of a measure including a pitchbent note from being pitchbent and it just sounds horrible, obviously.

I tried pitchbending with the MIDI tool but in its dropdown menu everything from "Set To..." to "Show Selected Notes" is greyed out and unclickable. From what I've read I need to use those functions to do it.

I finally gave up and decided to install Dorico but then I got a whole new tech problem preventing me from doing that with no help from the internet so I came crawling back to Finale hahahaha

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:58 am

You don't mention in which expression category you have defined the pitch wheel expression. Make sure you don't use an expression in a category such as Tempo Marks, Rehearsal Marks, which by default apply to the beginning of the measure.
Last edited by michelp on Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Ashkon
Finale Version: Version 26.3.0.512
Operating System: Windows

Post by Ashkon » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:18 am

At first I was doing miscellaneous then I tried other categories because I noticed that dynamic expressions function the way I need this to. So I created pitchbending expressions in the dynamics category and it was still as I described.