Fermata doesn't seem to be working

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rpoepa

Post by rpoepa » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:16 pm

This image shows the measure I'm trying to alter.

OK, I don't know why that isn't working. This is the rhythm of the (6/8) measure: ♩ ♪♪♪♪

What I'd like is to have a long hold on the first quarter note of the measure.

What I'm getting is that it plays the whole measure a tempo..

I have tried both a fermata and a "molto rit". What I notice with the rit is that the tempo does slow down, but over the entire course of the measure. The first quarter is still a tempo, but the next measure is a little slower.

I'm using Human Playback, and I've tried both Standard and Romantic (which presumably has longer fermatas). Neither has any effect. I'm playing through Audio Units, but the same thing happens in both Audio Units and MIDI.

This is voice and piano music, and yes I have tried putting the fermata over the same beat on every stave. No effect.

I know fermatas have worked for me in the past, so I'm not sure what's going on. How do I debug this?

And assuming I get them to work, is there a way to customize fermata length? Or to customize a ritardando? I guess customizing the Human Playback, which would affect the whole piece but that's OK for this piece.

rpoepa

Post by rpoepa » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:48 pm

I wonder if this is related. The tempo mark in Playback Controls has no effect. I had a marking on the top of the score, "Allegretto, (dotted quarter) = 40". I wondered if this was overriding every other attempt to control the tempo.

So I deleted it and replaced it with simply "Allegretto".

Same result. Fermata does nothing, tempo in Playback Controls does nothing.

Tried deleting the tempo marking entirely. Now the tempo in Playback Controls works. But still no fermata.