Harmonics for playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MegRobinson
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by MegRobinson » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:08 pm

One of the important techniques in harp is to play harmonics, indicated often by a small "o" above the note, which I can notate in Finale. What I would like to be able to do is for it to sound properly during playback. Is this possible?

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:32 pm

The harmonics in Finale sound like harsh squeals. I used to create an expression with a patched sound, like vibraphone then hide the expression, after which I would add a hidden "suano ord." expression after the note(s) to restore playback of the original instrument. I now assign an instrument like a handbell to, say, layer 2. That way, I do not need to create expressions. If you need to set the volume of layer 2 differently to layer one, the "Devices" must be different; for instance, a Garritan instrument for layer 1 and a SoftSynth for layer 2.

Probably the best option would be to find a plug-in. I'm note sure if Note Performer includes am acceptable harmonic, but it is only compatible with the latest version of Finale. TuneFish synth (a totally free plug-in) comes with library of sounds that can be modified, or you can create your own. If using TuneFish, the fader in Finale's mixer will not work; but you can easily control the payback volume in the plug-in GUI or Finale's VST panel. Hope this helps.

MegRobinson
Finale Version: 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by MegRobinson » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:09 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I, too, thought about inserting a totally different sound at the point of the harmonic. I will have to play around with your creative suggestions and see what can be accomplished. Again, many thanks!