changing duration of grace note played on the beat

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Tallis
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137
Operating System: Windows

Post by Tallis » Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:41 am

Hi all,

After some work, I figured out how to get grace notes to play on the beat (by using a custom human playback style and choosing baroque ornaments).... but now they're played for the same duration no matter where I set the value. I'd like them to play as semiquavers (taking up 1/4 of the crotchet which they precede), yet they're all played too slowly, as quavers (1/2 of the following note).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I know I could fake it by creating another level with invisible notes... but that seems a tedious process compared to just defining the grace note properly.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:37 pm

Did you modify the duration of grace notes in "Playback/Record Options"?

Tallis
Finale Version: 27.3.0.137

Post by Tallis » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:11 am

Hi Djard,

If I recall correctly, the durations offered there are in realtime units. It would be more helpful if the options for grace note length were, say, "semiquaver, quaver, crotchet..." or "half the following note, a quarter of the following note, etc." -- which would gauge the length to the beat and play correctly regardless of tempo.

In the end, I just duplicated the music in a separate but invisible layer, in which all grace notes and ornaments were written out as I wanted to hear them, and assigned playback to that layer instead. Tedious, but it worked.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:30 pm

Glad you solved the problem. I share your preference for durations to be in units of note values, but I can live with EDUs. I have always had the impression that MakeMusic refrains from consulting knowledgeable music engravers that would gladly offer feedback. I once thought of switching to Sibelius, but their forum reflects users experiencing just as many problems. If MakeMusic concentrated on adding stability to its software, instead of new features, I would upgrade more frequently. Thank God for this forum.