Need help deleting a note

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 pm

In the attached page, a phantom note plays back on the first offbeat of the second measure. Can someone lend a hand and help me silence the hidden note?

I enabled view to show hidden notes; cleared all the data in the problematic measure; wrote a series of notes in the measure and used the Edit Frame tool to stop playback of all the notes; reassigned the playback sounds; changed the device from Garritan to Smartmusic; chnaged the instrument; even deleted the measure, but the issue persists. It seems that the phantom note is embedded in the page.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:20 pm

Not attached.

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 am

Oops! Here it is. I have spent hours on this problem. I tried changing the instrument back and forth from Utilities and in Score Manager. But in doing so, I added another problem: the drum set track now plays back with a grand piano sound. There seems to be no end to the instability of Finale that seems to support editing, but only to a point. The latter will rob me of another day.

I will be very, very grateful to learn how to remove the phantom note.
Attachments
Phantom Note.musx
(107.83 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:49 am

Oops! Here it is. I have spent hours on this problem. I tried changing the instrument back and forth from Utilities and in Score Manager. But in doing so, I added another problem: the drum set track now plays back with a grand piano sound. There seems to be no end to the instability of Finale that seems to support editing, but only to a point. The latter will rob me of another day.

I will be very, very grateful to learn how to remove the phantom note.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:52 am

I hear nothing in the second measure.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:58 am

Djard wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 pm
… In the attached page, a phantom note plays back on the first offbeat of the second measure …
In your attached Finale document the second measure is empty.

Unfortunately I do not hear any phantom note in the second measure.

Possibly the reason why I do not hear any phantom note, could be that I am using Mac Finale.

Hopefully a Windows Finale user will chime in with a comment.
Djard wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:41 pm
… changed the device from Garritan to Smartmusic … the drum set track now plays back with a grand piano sound …
Unfortunately there is no drum set staff in your attached Finale document (only a guitar staff)
But try Channel 10 (which, generally, is supposed to be the Percussion channel).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:32 pm

Thanks for responding.

Fortunately I had an old copy of the score; so I duplicated the problematic document, deleted the instrument in one of them, added the instrument again (blank staff), copied and pasted the old track into the document, after which I updated the notation with the two documents tiled horizontally for reference.

Is the latest version of Finale stable?