Does patching an instrument change still work?

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:47 pm

In Finale version 2012c, I was able to patch an instrument change for a measure or two, such as for pizz., using the expression tool, after which I added another expression (suono ord.) to resume playback of the original sound. In v26.3, the steps I used for guitar (see below), fail. To rule out corruption in my document, I tried the steps in a fresh document. Does patching an instrument change still work?

1. Expression tool -> Technique (category) -> select pizz.
2. Edit -> Playback tab -> set, for example, as follows....

~ Type: Patch
~ GM: 29: Electric Guitar (muted)
~ Patch: Program Change
~ Effect: Set to value
~ Program Change: 29

3. OK.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:14 pm

Are you doing that before or after the pizz.? You need two patches, one to change and one to put it back. Attaching your file would be best.

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:18 am

I constructed the section in a fresh document and encountered the same problem. Today I followed the same steps and Finale correctly played back the pizz. section. Seems like something got unstuck.

When using SmartMusic's Electric Guitar (Steel) and adding an expression to change to pizzicato, I have not found a way to re-assign the instrument back to Electric Guitar (Steel) in a subsequent measure as it is not available in the list. Seems, only Garritan instruments can be patched in the Expression tool. Do you know of a way to re-assign the SmartMusic instrument after a patch for pizz.?