2014.5 on W11 PC with Realtek Audio

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sandalwood
Finale Version: 2014.5- W10
Operating System: Windows

Post by sandalwood » Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:33 pm

I wanted to see if 2014.5 would install and work on my new PC, operating on newly migrated Windows 11. It turned out that the Realtek audio on the PC allowed two alternatives, only: 16 bit 48 000 hz or 24 bit 48 000 Hz. I updated the Aria Player and Engine to Version 1.959 and chose 48 000 Hz as their settings. Fast forward to the latest situation: Now, Finale seems to be working and playing back music. However, when Finale is open, Youtube (for instance) plays but with no sound. Only after I close Finale, the Youtube video resumes playing with sound. Another odd thing is that Finale takes minutes to load on the W 11 PC, while it takes seconds to load on the older and slower W 10 PC. After the slow loading, it seems to be working as fast as it did on the W 10 PC.

Has anybody had similar experiences with W 11 (or is it Realtek audio) and found explanations and possibly solutions?

Reha

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:14 pm

Only allowing one application to play music is an aspect of RealTek ASIO and has nothing to do with sample rates. I got some freeware called FlexASIO and set Finale's Audio Output Source to that, which solved the problem (still plays through the RealTex hardware). I have Windows 10, but it probably works with Windows 11 as well.

Minutes to load seems extreme, but the slowness might be due to the Windows malware detector. There's a setting on the Windows Security Dashboard somewhere where you can tell it not to scan certain folders. Windows 10 it's Virus & Threat Protection/Manage Settings/Exclusions. You can add C:\Program Files\MakeMusic\Finale\27 to the list of Folders to exclude from scanning.

sandalwood

Post by sandalwood » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:16 am

Thank you! To the Windows Defender Antivirus Exclusion List, I added Finale 2014.5 folder (later I also tried the Finale.exe file) and various Aria .dll and .exe files and rebooted. The loading time seems to have remained the same. Possibly I neglected adding some files to the list or did something else wrong. However, knowing that it's the Windows Defender causing the slow loading has made it a non-issue for me. I wouldn't mind waiting a minute or two each time! Thank you also for the FlexAsio tip. I certainly will try it. Again, knowing "only one application at a time" is a peculiarity of Realtek, and not one that my own setup produces, is a real relief!

Though the old PC seems to work just fine for the time being, it may retire itself sometime soon with its mostly legacy programs and libraries on board. So, I'm slowly trying to come to grips with the W 11 PC, meanwhile trying to make up my mind on which direction to go, considering lately I try to write music mostly for small chamber ensembles. It seems the choice will be between Finale 27 and Dorico 5 and the library(ies) for each.

Thanks again! :)

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:56 am

sandalwood wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:16 am
knowing "only one application at a time" is a peculiarity of Realtek
It's actually a peculiarity of ASIO itself, I think.

When you experience the delay on startup, quit and immediately launch again. If it's quick, that points to Windows Defender. Double-check the path you put in the exclusion list. It should be C:\Program Files (x86)\Finale 2014.5 if you did a default installation.

sandalwood

Post by sandalwood » Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:09 pm

On immediate relaunch...no, it's not quick! Maybe a liiiitle bit quicker, maybe not even that.

...and yes, it was a default installation and the excluded folder address is C:\Program Files (x86)\Finale 2014.5. The others are files: .exe and .dll files of Aria.

Actually, before this PC, I always stuck to Windows default and tried to avoid Asio. Installing Finale in this PC, however, I was forced to choose Asio or perhaps not even had a choice. I don't remember the particulars, at all!

Thanks! :)

sandalwood

Post by sandalwood » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:04 am

Mystery of slow launching seems to be solved! Choosing Direct X instead of ASIO in the Finale Audio Device Set up solved the problem and now Finale launches as quickly as it used to with the W10 PC. Seeing the Realtek sound scheme imposed ASIO and 48 000 Hz with no choice, I had previously chosen ASIO driver in the Finale setup.