tempo lost on playback if top staff muted

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mscherperel
Finale Version: 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by mscherperel » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:56 pm

I recently created a track from a score for violin, mezzo, and piano for the singer to use for learning the score. She wanted the piano part only, so I muted the violin (top staff of the score) as well as the mezzo. The resulting wav file was completely at the wrong tempo. If I unmute the violin but leave the mezzo muted, the wav file is perfect. I found some very old complaints (>5 years) about this issue but haven't found any information as to whether there is a correction or workaround. (Curiously, when I did exactly the same thing with another song in this set of three, the wav file tempo was correct whether the violin line was muted or not! I don't see any notational difference in song 2 from the others.).

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:16 pm

I seem to remember that bug, but can't reproduce it. Maybe compare the settings for the tempo mark between your file that works and the one that doesn't.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:59 pm

I have experienced that behaviour and I can still reproduce it (26.3.1. on the Mac) when one wants to apply the Mute button to the first staff (the one that displays the Tempo Mark expression).
The problem appears if :
     • Playback is set via Midi
     • Human Playback is set to None

If you want Playback via Midi :
1) use some form of Human Playback. The Mute button will work and the tempo mark will be applied.
or..
2) If you rather have HP set to None, instead of using the mute button, bring the fader all the way down in the mixer for the staff you want to be silent.

You also can avoid the problem if you use Playback via VST (Garritan).

P.S. : this behaviour is still present in Finale 27.3 (Mac).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

mscherperel
Finale Version: 26

Post by mscherperel » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Michel. I can't see any difference between the file that works and the one that doesn't--both are set to playback VST and HP standard. Of course, there are LOTS of settings all over the place, most of which I have no familiarity with, so there must be something that is not the same in these files. I might open an actual trouble ticket with MakeMusic and attach both files. Maybe they can tell me why one loses tempo and the other doesn't. Using the mixer, as you also suggested, does alleviate the issue, but now I want to know what's going on--even if I can't fix it.