Playback duration of a note too short

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:17 pm

I have a whole note in a measure that erroneously plays back as a quarter note. I checked the "Edit Frame" attributes, and the duration is 4096. I cleared the MIDI data in the measure, without success. I also wrote the note in a healthy measure that played correctly then copied and pasted the measure into the errant one, firstly clearing all items therein; but the issue persists.

The problematic note is A4. If I transpose it to another pitch, like G4, it plays back for the full duration. So Finale refuses to play the specific pitch for the full duration in that measure. Can someone lend a hand and help me get Finale to play the note for the full duration?

Edit Frame.jpg

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:00 am

As always, you'll need to attach your file.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:49 am

Attached is the staff with the A4 note in the first measure that erroneously plays back as a quarter note instead of a whole note as written. If the A4 note is moved up or down to a different pitch, the duration of the note plays back correctly.

Note that a different instrument is assigned to layer 2 in the staff system (see in Score Manager). But elsewhere in all the other measures of the staff system, the same two instruments play correctly. (Ignore the comment about the hidden ossia that was removed.)
Attachments
Rumba Gitana.musx
(106.2 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

motet

Post by motet » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:00 am

When I look at it everything is assigned to Choir Ahs and I can hear the A for four beats.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:44 pm

Thanks for taking a look. Below is what appears in Score Manager on my system. Fortunately I resolved the matter by clicking on Undo, until at the point before the problem surfaced. The issue I had appeared at the point where I flipped the note ties. I opted to change the melody as a workaround but lost a lot of time contending with Finale, which I think is fragile.

Score Mgr.jpg

motet

Post by motet » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:25 pm

Delete the other voices one by one and see if the problem disappears.

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:11 am

I did try deleting the other voices, but the problem persisted. Writing the identical parts in another measure did not create the problem. The issue appears to be a corrupted measure.

If cutting out the faulty measure then copying and inserting a healthy one in its place lets me write and play an A4 whole note, would that not confirm a defective measure?

Djard

Post by Djard » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:21 am

Inserting a new page and re-writing the notation also fails: the document seems to be indelibly corrupted. I think a solution might be to create a fresh document, copy all the notation--except that in the erratic one--and paste it into the new document. In the future, I will create a backup copy of my score before flipping stems, when another instrument is assigned to layer 2.

CELLOChica
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by CELLOChica » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:45 pm

I suddenly had a score playback where everything was choppy and note values shortened. The playback in other spots was "warped", if that makes sense. After trying various things and checking settings with no results,here is what worked in my case:
Edit > Edit filter > de-select both Expressions options and also Midi data.
Return to the score, to test this select a section of measures > ctrl + C then, on the first measure in the section > ctrl + V.
Listen to playback for those measures and see if that corrected the problem. Hope it helps someone!

Finale 27
Finale 27.3.0.137
Windows 10
String quartet score

Djard

Post by Djard » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:50 pm

The steps you kindly shared did not work for me. But thanks for offering to help. I also tried changing the bank. My love-hate relationship with Finale continues, a wonderful program but sooooo unstable.