Fingering articulation plays back as a mordent

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:21 am

I created an articulation "m" as a fingering indication. When I attach the "m" to a note, Finale plays back the note as a mordent. In "Articulation Designer," I set the "Playback Effect" as "None." But the note still plays back as an ornament. It seems that the articulation I created works as a macro for mordent. I found no such control in Preferences. If there is such a macro, can it be disabled from playing back as a mordent?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:25 am

I think it's Human Playback that does that.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:52 am

It is a matter of font character slot #109.

In text fonts the lowercase ‘m’ is located in font slot #109.

In the music fonts (= Maestro, Broadway Copyist, &c.) the mordent character is located in font slot #109.

When ever Human Playback finds a {font character} articulation with character #109, it thinks that the articulation is a mordent, no matter what font is used.

Solutions:

1) De-select interpretation of ornaments in Human Playback.
This step will make Human Playback, not interpret any ornaments (but I can imagine that you may need interpretation of some ornaments).

2) Edit your ‘m’ articulation, and make it a {shape} articulation instead of a {font character} articulation.
Human Playback does not look in text blocks inside shape articulations.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 am

Yes. HP is the culprit. Looking at my notes, I see that I experienced this problem before. Peter's suggestion to edit the 'character' and make it a 'shape' works. I used Bookman Old Style, Light Italic 10pt to more-or-less match the other fingering in Maestro Times. Unfortunately, editing the position of the letter in Shape Editor does not change the positions of "m" that exist in a document, like the Custom Line Tool does; so I had to nudge them back into place with the Selection tool. Since starting to use Finale in 2010, I think I have encountered a problem with virtually every feature in this wonderful but unstable program. I cannot express my gratitude enough to you folks for lending a kind hand along the way.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:57 pm

Can you maybe do without Human Playback?

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 pm

I need HP in this piece as it contains tremolos. But thanks for the suggestion.

Djard

Post by Djard » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 pm

Peter, I thought you were showing me another method of transposing the playback pitch of an instrument, without altering the key signature or notation. You had already kindly showed me how to figure out the Interval and Key Alteration. Thanks for your patience.