Human Playback being difficult

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:08 pm

HP decided to start being difficult today....same doc I've been using all along, now it is messing with some of the articulations: not holding some notes out, being long when it should be short, etc. Not everywhere, just on certain things, but all throughout the piece. I turn off HP, everything's fine again. I'm guessing this is just "one of the things, HP being HP," etc. If there's any sort of "reset" that would be great.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:28 pm

bj nick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:08 pm
HP decided to start being difficult today....same doc I've been using all along, now it is messing with some of the articulations
HP certainly has bugs, but it isn't conscious, so--assuming you've tried rebooting--if something changes it's because of something you did.

There is a button to reset HP preferences to their default.
Attachments
Image1.png

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:04 pm

motet wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:28 pm
bj nick wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:08 pm
HP decided to start being difficult today....same doc I've been using all along, now it is messing with some of the articulations
HP certainly has bugs, but it isn't conscious, so--assuming you've tried rebooting--if something changes it's because of something you did.

LOL- thanks; I understand HP isn't sentient. I opened a piece, edited some things, closed it. Like always, then the HP issue turned up. Did try rebooting. More than once. Even reinstalled Finale. No difference. Weird.

There is a button to reset HP preferences to their default.
I tried this, but the result is very unsatisfactory HP performance. I'm tempted to ask MakeMusic, but I believe they will no longer support V.26. You know what, I think I'm going to try something out of left field (sort of) considering that the problem I was having a few months ago w/the Playback being grayed out, was figured out by the MS tech support guy. So I may try them again with the issue of the Expression dialogue box opening up minimized...and somehow this issue as well might apply....who knows? Stranger things have happened. Otherwise, not sure how to proceed.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:13 pm

I thought you were asking how to reset HP to its defaults.

HP was written by Robert Piéchaud, as was FinaleScript. I think MakeMusic bought them from him several years ago. He is very clever, but like any software, these things have bugs to fix and improvements to add, and I think they have neither the expertise nor the resources to do that, so you need to work with what we have. If your main reason for using HP is to get tremolos, you can do that yourself by putting hidden notes in voice 2. This is what Human Playback does before it starts playing. Then it removes them at the end.
Attachments
0583.png
0582.png

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:46 pm

I'm not sure about tremolos per se....maybe that's related to what's happening? The playback sounding "off?" Sorry, I wish I could be more specific about what HP is producing on playback....it just sounds "primitive," for lack of a better term; it's "missing something." fwiw: What I usually get from HP is just fine, far as I'm concerned, so resetting it wasn't the answer this time, but I'll try anything at this point. I will check with MS, just to eliminate the (perhaps distant) possibility of this somehow being a Windows issue bleeding all over Finale ( since the other issue- expression dialog box not opening properly) persists, so we'll see.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:54 pm

You can try MIDI tool/Apply Human Playback/Clear items.

Absent anything specific, you're wasting your time posting here.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:35 pm

motet wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:54 pm
You can try MIDI tool/Apply Human Playback/Clear items.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Absent anything specific, you're wasting your time posting here.
Thanks!