Grace note playback speed at slow tempos

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sthomps72
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by sthomps72 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:03 am

Hello all! I am currently working on a piece that deals with EXTREMELY slow tempo markings. (eighth note = 58-72 bpm)

Everything is working correctly playback-wise, besides the grace notes. I have a flute part that has multiple grace note runs that are meant to be fast and condensed, but because of the agonizingly slow tempo, I believe the program just automatically assumes that the grace notes should be played back respectively slow.

They are currently playing around the speed of sixteenth-note triplets at eighth note equals 64, and I need it to be about three times as fast.

I am wondering if there is a way to manually change how fast Finale perceives and plays grace notes, regardless of the tempo marking. It is very hard to interpret if I like what I have written if it cannot play back correctly.

I have not seen any other forum posts about this issue on here, and it may be a bit of a noob question, but I am genuinely and frustratingly stumped.

If anyone has anything please let me know!
Thank you!!!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:24 am

Welcome to the forum!

Please specify the steps you’ve already taken (to solve the problem), so that we can rule out things.

Have you e. g. tried the Grace Note settings in Document Options?

(Document menu - Document Options - Grace Notes)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996