Finale 2006 Drum Groove help needed.

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

finaledel

Post by finaledel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:23 pm

Hello, I arrange 7-part vocal charts for my a cappella group that uses vocal percussion. The following question is in regards to my work in Finale for this group. "VP" is "Vocal Percussion or beatbox drums". I am not a newbie in Finale since I have been using Finale off and on since Finale 3.0 way back in the day. I am not an expert either as I have been just learning along the way. I did try the search tool and the Finale manual and other on line resources before posting this question. Thanks for any help with this issue.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I am using finale 2006 (windows) and I use the "Drum Groove" plug-in when I have a song that uses VP. I do it to establish the feel for when I make learning tracks for the members of my group. I pan the parts like with vocal work tapes and then save to midi.

The problem I have is that the drum grooves don't cover all of the styles I need to use. (Techno, Reggaeton, Hip hop, different reggae than provided, latin beats, etc..) I know how to add to the list of grooves but I am having a really hard time finding free midi drum grooves, and especially ones that I can use in Finale. I found some but again, limited style variety. (Free because I am only inserting them for learning help purposes and it needs to be quick, easy and yes, free to be worth it)

So I tried using my Fruity Loops 3 software. I tried exporting one of the premade drum loops to midi. It added ok, but when I tried to apply it, Finale said "there are no notes in this file."

If I can figure out what is wrong I can make my own simple drum tracks just for the learning tracks. Yes, I considered composing drum parts in Finale but that is so far beyond my Finale skill level, it seems like it would take a really long time to learn how to do it quickly.

There's not a lot of information on creating drum grooves for the Drum Groove plug-in as far as I can see through my research.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Del Coy

Sales rep-AT&T Mobility
freelance vocal arranger/composer/songwriter
vocalist- rock,pop,jazz,soul,blues;
specialty- a cappella
vocal percussion/human beatbox/instrument mimic
comedy- improv, sketch, impressions, stand-up