Midi Problem...Sound locks up and program shuts down.....

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ronny

Post by ronny » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:35 am

I'm using finale 2003a and just switched to a new pc with Vista. All is fine except during playback, when I try to stop the playback, I get the last note still ringing on forever through my outboard roland synth. I'm using the midi man 1x1 interface.

The program also locks up and I have to shut down my pc in order to restart finale. Although I can exit finale, it won't restart until I reboot my pc and once I had to "take a hammer" to it because the restart feature wouldn't do it. (Pushing down and holding the start button :( )

I remember something like this when I first started using finale but don't remember the fix. I have the settings for midi all set fine, and the sound is working as normal, just can't remember what this problem is and what the solution is. Anyone remember??? Thanks....

ronny

Post by ronny » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:55 pm

I talked with tech support this morning and he tells me the only solution is to upgrade to finale 2008 since it's the only version fully compatible with vista.

Is this true? There is NO other solution to this midi glitch? I remember having this problem when I first started using finale and it got fixed.

Any other hints?

iannis

Post by iannis » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:19 pm

ronny-

Vista is not like XP - it is a significant advancement in architecture for Windows. If you want to run that operating system you will need to update some of your older software. Finale 2003 was released in late 2002. That was six years ago. In terms of software that's more like 60 years.

On top of your Finale you would need to download Vista compatible drivers for your midi device.

ronny

Post by ronny » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:20 pm

Thanks for info. I installed/updated the drivers for vista for the midi-man but after the 3rd or 4th playback, it locked up again so I guess I DO need to install finale 2008. I assume that will solve this problem? It IS a finale problem with compatibility, not just the midi problem w/playback??

I really don't want to ugrade to finale 2008 but with vista if it's the only way to go, I'll do it. I already ordered the DVD ugrade. Previously I'd purchased the 2004 ugrade but stuck with 2003a.

iannis

Post by iannis » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Ronny-

I am sure that you will find the improvements in 2008 to your liking.

ronny

Post by ronny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:39 am

So I got my new 2008a DVD today and it installed fine. I like it!

The only issue I'm having is very strange. The midi set-up is fine and plays back pretty much everything fine, but I was working on a score and when I added some figures at the end of the piece, the playback locks up on every note and sustains them until the end of the piece. When I solo only 1 channel, it works fine. They ALL work fine by themselves, but when I playback more than one channel, they ALL lock up. It happens ONLY on these new entries I just added. The rest of the score plays with no problem. I opened some older scores and they play ok for the most party, but some places cause it to lock up playback. I'm thinking it's one of the markings, like slurs or something???? Again, even in these area, it plays back just fine if I only use one instrument, but adding any more and the notes sustain all the way through to the end of the piece. What is that??? Thanks.

ronny

Post by ronny » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:17 am

OK, perhaps I have the problem solved now. But I don't understand the midi thing. The problem was solved by putting each horn on a different channel, even if it was the same instrument.

So, can I ask: How are the midi channels supposed to be set up? I know 10 is for drums. If I use channel 1 for alto sax, it sounds like a synth. If I start with channel 2, it sounds fine. But there's only so many channels to use.

If you can tell me why changing channels solved the problem, that would be great. I appreciate the info. Thanks.....

iannis

Post by iannis » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:39 pm

ronny-

Are you using VST(AU) or Midi for playback?

You can use any channel for any instrument except for channel 10.

Channel 10 is for percussion. Honestly, if you are using VST you can use any channel for any instrument, but most people set it up the same way they always have and this way you can switch between midi and vst playback easily.

It sounds to me that there are issues beyond channels at play here. You may want to contact tech support and send them the files.