upbeats

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jkarman

Post by jkarman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:00 am

I'm working many years with Finale and still didn't find a means to decently edit UPBEATS. When un-checking Check for Extra Notes the script looks fine but MIDI only plays first the notes in first measure and then take the rests, before continue with measure 2, in stead of the other way around (or rather don't play rests at all).

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:09 am

There are two ways to create a pickup measure in Finale:

1. Use a full measure, and insert invisible "Mirror Tool placeholder rests" before the pickup notes.
This is what Finale automatically does, when you choose "Pickup Measure..." in the Document menu (in Finale 2007 and 2008 - in Finale 2006 the menu is called the Options menu).
In the playback you can hear that the measure is still a full measure (you hear the "placeholder rests" before the pickup).

2. Use the Time Signature Tool to create a measure of the desired duration (e. g. 1/4).
In the dialog box Time Signature, click the button "More Choices", and choose another time siganture for display (e. g. 4/4).
In the playback you can hear that the pickup begins immediately (no "placeholder rest" waiting time).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jkarman

Post by jkarman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:18 am

thanks Peter.

Jan

jkarman

Post by jkarman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am

Peter,
the solution #1 seems most attractive to me - it's invisible.
In the Time Signature solution the altered time signature remains visible e.g. 1/4 in the first measure and 4/4 as from the 2nd measure through the end of the score. It's a little bit odd view on the screen and in the printed score - unless you can make the signature in the first measure invisible.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:48 pm

jkarman wrote:Peter,
the solution #1 seems most attractive to me - it's invisible.
In the Time Signature solution the altered time signature remains visible e.g. 1/4 in the first measure and 4/4 as from the 2nd measure through the end of the score. It's a little bit odd view on the screen and in the printed score - unless you can make the signature in the first measure invisible.
I quote myself:

"In the dialog box Time Signature, click the button "More Choices", and choose another time signature for display (e. g. 4/4)"
So you can make your 1/4 pickup measure display a time signature of 4/4.

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jkarman

Post by jkarman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 pm

Peter,
It's working tho, but measure #1 shows the 1/4 time signature, and I don't like it that much (i'm working with a ten years old version - it might be "slightly" different).

charles880
Finale Version: Xbox360
Operating System: Windows

Post by charles880 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:00 am

In what capacity would I be able to get my Korg X50 synth to enter notes as i play furthermore hear the sounds from my console while inputting and playback? I can't discover anything in the help documents nor in the project menu so as to set this up or select my synth. The synth's drivers are introduced and is joined through USB as my machine doesn't have midi jacks. That is about the degree of my machine/music/midi information.
Our Actual Exams and [url=http://www.cert-killer.info]70-642[/url] gre exam provide you 100% pass guarantee. You can get access to and [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9n56zAA_Y]United States Army Command & General Staff College[/url] exams. Our [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/pittsburgstate]Pittsburg State University[/url] is also very useful tool.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Why not start a new thread, instead of reopening one that's seven years old?

Also, please add the program and version you are using to your signature, in the user control panel.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society