Midi Resets to non-existent patches without warning - HELP!

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dhc

Post by dhc » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:06 am

Midi is resetting to non-existent patches as I play through a score.

Here's the set-up.

I am running Finale 2002b into a MTP AV (usb model). The MTP is feeding several sound modules from different manufacturers. The Roland Sound Canvases and the PC88 are both having the problem. The Proteus/2 doesn't seem to have it -- but maybe it just hasn't shown up yet.
I've tried using both Freemidi (1.48) AND OMS and have the same issue.

The behaviour described below is new since upgrading the computer. All other software remained the same. The old CPU was a G4-400 mHz CPU using the serial port to communicate with the MTP. The new CPU is a G4-1.25 gHz running OS 9.2.2.

Here's the problem:

When I playback a Finale file the midi modules are suddenly changing program banks and/or appear to be looking for some 'external program' voice, then they 'lock up' and won't respond to subsequent patch commands. This happens on individual MIDI channels on the same machine at different times, i.e. the whole machine doesn't lock up at one time, just one channel -- and then a few measures later another channel, etc. etc.

Examples: On the Sound Canvas the flute patch (74) spontaneously changes to 74+. Since there IS no 74+, that channel effectively becomes mute when the patch changes.

On a PC-88 it changes to an 'external program'.
Example: what previously read:
Ch:14 On 0:045 "Legato A Bass"
... now suddenly reads:
Ch: 14 On 8192:000 "External Prog"

For what it's worth, the scores I'm working on are: flute, clarinet, harp and string quintet.

I have made sure that all devices are set for local control and not transmitting clock. I've reset the Sound Canvases to factory preset several times. I've tried it on different Finale files: old files I've played many times, newer files that sounded fine recently, and a new file I created today.

I've been working with these same midi devices, Finale and the MTP for many years. The only new kid on the block is the computer - and the fact that the MTP is connecting via USB instead of serial -- but how can that be creating this problem??? Has anyone else ever seen anything like this? I desperately need to get back to my scores but it's impossible to work with this happening. Please help!

Thanks --
dhc