Noteworthy to Finale

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John H White

Post by John H White » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:28 pm

I'd like to convert some Noteworthy scores to Finale via MIDI files as painlessly as possible so that I can take advantage of Finale's GPO playback and superior print outs. Any ideas please?
Cheers,
John.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Two ideas:

1) Can Noteworthy export as MusicXML file?
Finale can import MusicXML files.

2) If Noteworthy can't export as MusicXML file, "print" the Noteworthy document to a PDF file, and use PDFtoMusic Pro to create a MusicXML file from the PDF file.
Then proceed as in 1).

Peter
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

John H White

Post by John H White » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Many thanks, Peter, for your suggestions. I'm fairly certain that Noteworthy cannot export to musicXML files. However, your alternative seems to me rather long winded. Is there no simple way using MIDI files. Some years back, I was able to export to and import from Personal Composer using MIDI files, so I assumed the same might apply to Finale.
Cheers,
John.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:23 pm

Most music progams are able to save as a midi file, a format which Finale can import. I hope that it is the case with Noteworthy. But only basic elements (notes) will be transferred in Midi files ; eveything else (layout, dynamics, texts, etc..) will be lost. That's the reason why Peter was making other suggestions, as they transfer more elements.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

John H White

Post by John H White » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Many thanks, Michel, for your kind reply. I do remember transferring music files between Noteworthy and Personal Composer some years back, using MIDI files as a go between but I cannot recall exactly how much data was lost in the process. One thing I do remember was that I had to watch out for enharmonic changes and correct them accordingly.
Cheers,
John.

engelbach
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by engelbach » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:54 am

John H White wrote:Many thanks, Peter, for your suggestions. I'm fairly certain that Noteworthy cannot export to musicXML files. However, your alternative seems to me rather long winded. Is there no simple way using MIDI files. Some years back, I was able to export to and import from Personal Composer using MIDI files, so I assumed the same might apply to Finale.
Cheers,
John.
PDFtoMusic Pro from a PDF file is a much more accurate way to go than MIDI.

PDFtoMusic Pro has a free download. It only works on one page at a time (the full version is $199.00), but it's still superior to using MIDI.
Jerry Engelbach
iMac OSX Catalina, Finale 26, Note Performer 4, Perfect Layout
www.engelbachmusic.com