Piano

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

stp

Post by stp » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:50 am

When I write a piano part using Finale, how do I get the resulting midi to have notes lasting longer than the written note

Say, if I play a eigth in a real piano, specially with the sustain pedal pressed down, it lasts longer than just a eight, it sounds the whole quarter, or even more, since the strings keep vibrating....

How have I to produce it in my Finale for the output midi to play properly? Using layers would be a nightmare, because 4 or 8 eights together would need 4 or 8 layers, in order to put a half in place of the eigth (for them to last longer)....

At the same time, is there any way to produce a chord (playing several notes at the same time in the score), to cause the output midi a small dephase between them, to simulate the human touch of a piano player... I can go to the midi, edit them in Cubase and manually touch here and there,... but is there any other, automatic means?
thanks
Finale 2009, Windows XP SP3, Kontakt 3, Lexicon Omega

bka

Post by bka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 am

sounds like you're not using the GPO playback, right?

well... there must be a way to get the human playback feature to recognize the normal pedal markings... but if you just want to tell it exactly what to do, here's an easy way...

make an expression saying "pedal" or use the normal pedal symbol or something (doesnt really matter for this, you could even just make it a space and you wont even see it)
after you write the text for the expression, click over to the "playback tab"
-set "type" to "controller"
-set the box to the right of that to "64:sustain pedal"
-set "effect: value" to ... i don't know... try 100 and change it if you want more or less after you hear it

if you don't want it on all the time, you can make another symbol that sets it back to 0.

for the rolled chords, the rolled chord symbol is already programmed to play back properly. for me it is number 31 in the articulation menu, (but i don't know what version you are using or if you have loaded some other library)

(if you make a custom playback style, you can select the "auto piano pedaling" button, but ... i don't hear much from that.)

stp

Post by stp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:13 pm

I will try .

No, I am not using GPO playback. I use Finale to create readable scores, but for playback I export from Finale to MIDI, and the import that MIDI file into a sequencer (Sonar) and I proceed there for audio adjustings (after converting each MIDI track into an raw audio track

Thanks a lot
thanks

mvoogt

Post by mvoogt » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm

What you just described is what I've been doing for years and is really the only way to create "realistic" sounding scores. Finale just doesn't have the same capabilities as Sonar or Digital Performer to playback. As much as they have tried with this Human Playback stuff you really need a graphic editor to manipulate midi expression and Finale just does not have that.

stp

Post by stp » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:43 pm

thanks for the answers. I will check the piano part and try to improve it.
thanks