Notes won't appear on screen

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

musicus
Finale Version: Finale v26
Operating System: Mac

Post by musicus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:04 pm

This problem comes up every now and then, and it fixes itself when I restart the computer. Using speedy entry, when I input notes only the rests appear, not the notes. Today same problem but after restarting the problem remains. I suspect this is a MIDI problem. I have not changed any of my wirings or MIDI setup, but possibly something changed without my doing it. I am able to input using the eighth-note tool. Can anyone help me fix this? I use Finale 2000c on my Mac. I use a KX88 controller. I will not understand an excessively technical reply - I just want to know what is the most likely fix. Thanks.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:17 pm

The first thing to check is in the Speedy entry menu. "Use midi device for input" should be selected.
Then, Midi menu->Midi thru : try selecting "Smart".
When things work, I would save preferences.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

musicus

Post by musicus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:41 pm

michelp wrote:The first thing to check is in the Speedy entry menu. "Use midi device for input" should be selected.
Then, Midi menu->Midi thru : try selecting "Smart".
When things work, I would save preferences.
"Use Midi keyboard" was checked. Then I unchecked it. Then the notes appear, but always the same note appears even if I play different notes.

Midi Thru is "Smart."

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:58 pm

musicus wrote:Then the notes appear, but always the same note appears even if I play different notes.
Hard to figure this one out. Double check the connection between the KX88 (no mistake possible there, it only has 1 midi out) and your midi interface (IN).
Does the keyboard send correct midi data, for instance to a midi sequencer, if you have one ? Different or identical notes ?
If you see strange things, the problem could be in the way the KX88 is set-up. Maybe try to reset it to factory settings and make sure you send midi information on 1 single channel.

If things are fine, you can exclude the keyboard, and focus on :
1) the cables, the midi interface and its connections
2) the "global" midi configuration on your Mac. Make sure the "virtual" connections in the diagram are all present and correct
3) Finale (may not be the culprit)

An afterthought : which Macos do you use with Finale 2000 ? Not MacOsX I hope, because they are incompatible.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

musicus

Post by musicus » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:34 pm

On the back of my Mac, there are 2 coax cables going in (they're the ones with the symbol an arrow pointing up surrounded by to other "antennas." ...at least I believe they are called coax...) anyway one was labeled "printing & midi" and the other "mouse." I just switched them around and now my Finale/Midi is working. I don't remember if I had switched them recently, and, I don't know if this actually solved my problem or masked the problem. Any ideas? In any case I am up and running and hopefully I won't get the problem again. Thanks for your suggestions.

michelp wrote:
musicus wrote:Then the notes appear, but always the same note appears even if I play different notes.
Hard to figure this one out. Double check the connection between the KX88 (no mistake possible there, it only has 1 midi out) and your midi interface (IN).
Does the keyboard send correct midi data, for instance to a midi sequencer, if you have one ? Different or identical notes ?
If you see strange things, the problem could be in the way the KX88 is set-up. Maybe try to reset it to factory settings and make sure you send midi information on 1 single channel.

If things are fine, you can exclude the keyboard, and focus on :
1) the cables, the midi interface and its connections
2) the "global" midi configuration on your Mac. Make sure the "virtual" connections in the diagram are all present and correct
3) Finale (may not be the culprit)

An afterthought : which Macos do you use with Finale 2000 ? Not MacOsX I hope, because they are incompatible.