no interapplication support on Mac OS 10.2.8

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

yyrgen

Post by yyrgen » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:01 pm

On installing and exploring my recently aquired Finale 2004 (German) on my Mac G4 running MacOS 10.2.8 I experienced being pulled back to the stoneages: no interapplication support is provided, i.e. none is working, not even via MidiPipe, an excellent app (freeware) providing midiconnections between softwareinstruments (sequencers or standalone) and controlling apps like sequencers or notation devices or whatever you can imagine. Though interapplication support on system level has been introduced only in Mac OS 10.3, nearly all apps provide such connections even on MacOS 10.2, like MaxMSP, all relevant Native Instrumentss’ apps etc., or at least react to connections given by third hand apps: Not so with Finale 2004 (and by the way Sibelius). Those were the days on System 9 with the glorious OMS IAC driver...
For all those looking for a simple but effective workaround, here is the stoneage solution:
You need a midiinterface with at least one free IN and one free OUT:
Assign Finale’s OUT (say for finale channels 1-16) to (for example) Midiinterface OUT C (your free input), plug in a midicable, one end into IN C, the other into OUT C, assign the midiinput of your softwareinstrument to Midiinterface IN C, this works just fine (as expected).
Did the Finale programmers forget about this issue, one of the really important features today?
Did anybody hear about this problem?

yyrgen

Post by yyrgen » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:05 pm

In the meanwhile I discovered a software solution, though:
Pete.Yandell.com
MIDI Patchbay (Version 1.0) ;
this tool gets even Finale to send its midisignals "softly" to any sound generating app. The logic how to connect etc. is a little awkward:
check Finale's "activate interapplication ports" (must be on),
use Midi Patchbay as Finale’s Out and your softsynth’s In,
and this is the really weird thing about it:
check in your softsynth (or whatever) the Finale ports plus the Midi Patchbay port;
this sets a connection: When the connection is flowing, you can disable Finale's ports, but it does not make any difference, anyway.
Good luck
yyrgen