MIDI won't update

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DWB

Post by DWB » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:45 am

I am using 2003 on an os9 mac with an MTOU serial interface and have a problem with the MIDI playback. Sometimes it won't update changes for playback. I keep hearing the old part before correction. Saving or command backslashing doesn't help. Closing the file and reopening it doesn't help but if I quit the program and then restart everything comes back updated. :?:

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:39 pm

DWB wrote:I am using 2003 on an os9 mac with an MOTU serial interface and have a problem with the MIDI playback. Sometimes it won't update changes for playback. I keep hearing the old part before correction. Saving or command backslashing doesn't help. Closing the file and reopening it doesn't help but if I quit the program and then restart everything comes back updated. :?:
I have exacltly the same set-up, and it works without problem. Are you aware that you must, in the playback window, press the STOP button (not pause, not spacebar) to actually hear your modifications the next time you use playback ? The other procedures to stop playback just reproduce the music like it was before the modifications.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

DWB

Post by DWB » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:36 pm

michelp wrote:
DWB wrote:I am using 2003 on an os9 mac with an MOTU serial interface and have a problem with the MIDI playback. Sometimes it won't update changes for playback. I keep hearing the old part before correction. Saving or command backslashing doesn't help. Closing the file and reopening it doesn't help but if I quit the program and then restart everything comes back updated. :?:
I have exacltly the same set-up, and it works without problem. Are you aware that you must, in the playback window, press the STOP button (not pause, not spacebar) to actually hear your modifications the next time you use playback ? The other procedures to stop playback just reproduce the music like it was before the modifications.
Thanks for the help. This detail escaped me. I guess I was thrown off by the illustration in the manual that said spacebar is a keystroke for stop. I have been using Finale for a couple of years and only just started using the MIDI features.

The only other problem I have encountered is in the MIDI metronome. Even though I have "always" selected for click playback it only clicks in record. Any thoughts? I am using an outboard drum machine for click and it works fine in record.

Anyway thanks again for the help.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:34 pm

DWB wrote:..the MIDI metronome. Even though I have "always" selected for click playback it only clicks in record. Any thoughts? I am using an outboard drum machine for click and it works fine in record.
Something which might explain the problem : in version 2003, in the Playback window, when scrolling is selected, the click doesn't work during playback. It works if non-scrolling is selected.
I received the confirmation from the MakeMusic support that it is a bug. The good news is that it has apparently been fixed in version 2004, which I have not tried yet. So, try non-scrolling if you want the click during playback.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

DWB

Post by DWB » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:30 am

michelp wrote:
DWB wrote:..the MIDI metronome. Even though I have "always" selected for click playback it only clicks in record. Any thoughts? I am using an outboard drum machine for click and it works fine in record.
Something which might explain the problem : in version 2003, in the Playback window, when scrolling is selected, the click doesn't work during playback. It works if non-scrolling is selected.
I received the confirmation from the MakeMusic support that it is a bug. The good news is that it has apparently been fixed in version 2004, which I have not tried yet. So, try non-scrolling if you want the click during playback.

Right again! Thanks for the help and I'm going to be upgrading to 2004 soon. :P