Added staves gave strange unpredictable playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

Post by MichaelTrumpetPlayer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm

I know just enough to be dangerous. I posted this under general but because much of the issue involves MIDI results I duplicated it here. I hope this doesn't cause trouble.

Recently I tried adding a staff or two. The new staff always appears above the one I pick for the addition - never below. While the new staves appear to be "normal" they really play havoc with MIDI playback.

For example, any added staff acts like a duplicate of the very first staff in the project. In my case it's often a flute sound even though the added staff is a percussion part.

I try doing this because usually percussion parts use multiple instrument sounds - - bass drum, snare drum, triangle, cymbals, woodblocks, etc. Even with the use of several layers managing these individual sounds is difficult and the playback is universal: if the bass drum is marked "ff", everything on that cleff plays back "ff".

I tried starting out with two percussion parts in the set-up wizard which I thought would give me at least two different volume levels to work with. I have no idea what I did, but in the main percussion staff I suddenly see everything transposed down an octave. The snare drum which ought to appear on bass clef "d" (middle line) now shows as bass clef "d" below the staff. I can live with that but the bass drum now shows nine spaces below the staff. It works but it looks weird.

Warren Barnett

Post by Warren Barnett » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 am

See my answer in the General section

Warren