Held notes truncated

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bkline

Post by bkline » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm evaluating the available packages for creating musical scores, and I've run into a puzzle with Finale's demo packages. I'm entering the notes for each staff using a MIDI keyboard, and I did find that the accuracy of the software improved dramatically and latency problems were greatly reduced if I lowered the tempo quite a bit during the input phase. However, I can't figure out how to make Finale honor the durations sent with the MIDI information. For example, if I play a 4/4 measure which has a whole note G held for the entire measure combined with 4 quarter notes (A-flat, A natural, A-flat, A natural) the software scores the first beat with a quarter note G + A-flat cluster, followed by the other three quarter notes. There can't possibly be any way the MIDI device is sending only a quarter-note's worth of duration for the held G. What's the secret for making Finale use the durations it's being given for the notes (subject to quantizing constraints, of course)?

bkline

Post by bkline » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:19 pm

bkline wrote:I'm evaluating the available packages for creating musical scores, and I've run into a puzzle with Finale's demo packages. .... What's the secret for making Finale use the durations it's being given for the notes (subject to quantizing constraints, of course)?
Bump

bkline

Post by bkline » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:54 am

Never mind. I gave up and posted the question in another forum.