Cannot change individual track instrument and sound level

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mrflip

Post by mrflip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:20 pm

After opening a MIDI file from a PD site, I am not able to change a track's instrument and volume independent of the other tracks. When I change one track, all other tracks get changed with the same value(s). How can i un-couple the tracks?
BTW, this is not true for other MIDI files I have opened in the past.
I am using Finale 2008 on a MacBook Pro.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:38 pm

In the instrument list, you will need to assign the instruments to different channels. Look at the article Adding A New Instrument at http://www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

The situation is a little different, but the principle is the same.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

mrflip

Post by mrflip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:53 pm

miker wrote:In the instrument list, you will need to assign the instruments to different channels. Look at the article Adding A New Instrument at http://www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Thank you for the quick response. I will check out the link and report my progress.

mrflip

Post by mrflip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:21 pm

mrflip wrote:
miker wrote:In the instrument list, you will need to assign the instruments to different channels. Look at the article Adding A New Instrument at http://www.specialmillwork.com/finaletips.htm

Thank you for the quick response. I will check out the link and report my progress.
I was able to change instrument and channel number on one track and it did not affect the other tracks, but the sound coming out was still the old instrument - bag pipish (regardless of which instruments I set the new one and the rest to). Is there some kind of refresh button? I saved and re-opened the file but still the same. Although I was able to alter the volume levels by sliding the bar, the output is still the same. What am I missing? Thanks again.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Have you entered a new patch after you have defined a midi channel ?
Also, in the "Instrument list" window, select the checkbox "send patches before play".
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua