Instrumental Playback

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bobkill

Post by bobkill » Fri May 28, 2004 10:22 pm

Does anyone have good ideas for "realistic" playback of instrumental sounds? The General Midi sounds I get for my band arrangements are too "synthesized" to me. I would like to get good CD recordings of my arrangements but I am not very knowledgeable about what hardware/software options I have to produce quality recordings. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Using Mac OSX many ths. rsk
    RSK

hooter

Post by hooter » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:23 pm

The usual disclaimers apply, Finale is not a MIDI program, the playback option is merely a creative tool, so you get un-realistic sounds from Finale because it's not the priority of Finale to make good MIDI files.

Once you save as MIDI data, you can take that MIDI file to any of the "good" MIDI programs, assign voices and get a better playback. Even here some editing of the MIDI data for attacks and articulations may need to be done. One of my friends who is a MIDI genius is able to take my Finale Files and match them to great voices on CakeWalk, though he has to spend hours in working on the articulations and other details of the MIDI program.

CakeWalk, is my MIDI tool of choice. As usual, the more money you spend, the more you buy, so you can spend a bundle on MIDI voice software.

I'd look at CakeWalk if I were you first.

bobkill

Post by bobkill » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:33 pm

Thx. for the help. It gives me a direction to start. rsk :D
    RSK