Channel - Program Change Difficulties

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BDoggWhite

Post by BDoggWhite » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:20 am

Newbie here...

I'm having trouble setting MIDI to playback the instrument I would like. Each time I use the "Instrument List" box and try to type in a new channel or program change, all of the staves (3...melody..underlying piano) change with it.

I've looked for assistance in old threads and other online documents, but to no avail. I know there is a step that I'm excluding or not comprehending...so I'm counting on you. Thanks in advance for your assistance and initiating me.

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:28 pm

BDoggWhite wrote:Each time I use the "Instrument List" box and try to type in a new channel or program change, all of the staves (3...melody..underlying piano) change with it.
Don't modify an existing instrument, create NEW instruments, and for each of them use a different midi channel.
Then select the instruments to be used for each staff.
Your problem apparently comes from the fact that a midi channel was shared between several staves, so if you change a patch, all staves using that channel are affected.
The only solution is to use different midi channels for different staves (or families of instruments).
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua