Keyboard not working, Mac OSX

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

smusebyb

Post by smusebyb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm

I am attempting (failing) to use my Korg Nano keyboard for note entry, getting only rests. The keyboard worked on my PC, but isn't working on my new iMac. The Mac sees the keyboard, and in the Speedy menu, I have "use MIDI device for input" checked. the Mac "MIDI Studio" window shows the nanoKEY, but pressing the 'Test Setup" button does nothing.
Note: I'm an infrequent Finale user, and perhaps I'm pressing the wrong keys? To confirm, with Speedy entry selected, while holding a note on the keyboard, I press a number on the alpha side of the keyboard (numeric pad also does not work). Pressing '5' yields a quarter rest.

smusebyb

Post by smusebyb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:24 am

...on second thought, maybe the Mac is not seeing the keyboard, but only the fact that I have installed the driver for the nanoKey. I just installed the driver for a second keyboard, with the same result - rests, no notes. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong.
By the way, my computer is running OSx6.4, and Finale 2010.

smusebyb

Post by smusebyb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:08 pm

If, with the Speedy tool selected, I select Speedy Options from the Speedy menu, and UNCHECK the "Use MIDI Device for Input", notes, instead of rests, appear in the document. However, the pitch cannot be changed with the MIDI keyboard. What is even more peculiar is that after every adjustment to various settings, the pitch of the entered notes is changed, but never under control of the MIDI keyboard. Is it writing a percussion line?

By example, it might record a series of A notes; futz with the settings and trying again, it will record a series of E notes. The duration responds correctly to the keyboard, but the pitch does not respond to the MIDI keyboard.

smusebyb

Post by smusebyb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Found this in the Finale KB:
"In the Finale MIDI Setup Dialog box, select your device from the dropdown menu for Finale Channel 1-16 on the Input side. Press OK. "
Also, "MIDI Device for Input" must be checked.
Whew!