Temporary Save Files

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

acrpoirier

Post by acrpoirier » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:09 am

Hi,

I've just begun using mac. I've been a pc guy up until now. I just installed my Finale 2011 and it looks great. However, I began working on a new arrangement and there are multiple "Temporary Save Files" which appear on my desktop and I am unable to put them in the trash. Why are they there and how do I get rid of them?

Thank you.

Andrew

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

acrpoirier wrote:…I've just begun using mac. I've been a pc guy up until now. I just installed my Finale 2011 and it looks great. However, I began working on a new arrangement and there are multiple "Temporary Save Files" which appear on my desktop and I am unable to put them in the trash. Why are they there…?…
Some programs (including Finale) use temporary files.
The temporary files have to be somewhere.
My guess is that Finale saves the temporary files to the Desktop Folder because you haven't specified otherwise.

acrpoirier wrote:…and how do I get rid of them?…
Some things to try:

A. Specify a folder for Finale's Temporary Save Files.
1) In Finale, type Command-, (comma) to open the Program Options.
Change the Temporary Items folder (in Program Options > Folders) to /private/tmp.
2) Save Preferences.
3) Quit and relaunch Finale.
Now you can trash the Temporary Save Files on your Desktop.

B. Delete the Preferences file.
It is found at <user>/Library/Preferences/Finale 2011 Preferences.

C. It may be a permissions problem.
Are you running a Standard or Admin User Account?

D. It may possibly be a problem with the Finder's QuickLook preview trying to create a preview image of the file while you want to save it.
Deselect the file in the Finder before saving.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

tomlayer
Finale Version: pc

Post by tomlayer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:41 pm

According to me you can save your temporary files into these location C:\Documents and Settings\you\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\.....thanks

bobwen
Finale Version: 2012

Post by bobwen » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:59 pm

I have tried this solution (designating a place to put temp files) but as I hit "command - S" a lot while working (an old habit from those earlier crash prone days) I still end up with anywhere from 3 - 8 temp files on my desktop, requiring a restart to get rid of them after every composing session. I think something's wrong somewhere in Finale 2012.