MS GS Wavetable blocks ASIO4ALL

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

daanodinot
Finale Version: Finale 2012 (PC)

Post by daanodinot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 am

Hi,

I'm trying to simultaneously play a score with Finale 2012 through Kontakt 5, and play on the keyboard, connected to a MIDI cable, also through Kontakt. When I connect headphones to my PC, I want to hear both myself and the score. I want the keyboard to use the ASIO4ALL driver as output to minimize the delay. Lastly, I want to have the possibility to seperately configure the score's and keyboard's instrument, volume etc.

The problem can be best explained by describing different configurations:

With the default audio (DirectSound) device enabled
- Setting Finale to DirectSound and using the embedded Kontakt (accessible through "VST Banks & Effects") will (of course) make it impossible to use the ASIO4ALL driver for the keyboard
- Setting Finale to DirectSound and using a seperate Kontakt instance will prevent ASIO4ALL (and thus my keyboard) from using the audio output. ASIO4ALL reports: "In use by another application? MS GS Wavetable Synth enabled?"
- Setting Finale to ASIO4ALL will already prevent ASIO4ALL from using the audio output. ASIO4ALL reports the familiar message. Strangely, when I only run a seperate instance of Kontakt, ASIO4ALL works fine.

With the default audio (DirectSound) device disabled
- Setting Finale to ASIO4ALL and using the embedded Kontakt will work, but will not allow me (I think) to configure the score's and keyboard's output seperately.

The last configuration is the configuration I'm using now. Although it works, you can see it has at least two drawbacks: the audio device has to be disabled every time, and it isn't possible to configure both outputs seperately.

Is there a better solution available (without having to buy additional hardware)?