Crashes and Failure to Save

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Merbert

Post by Merbert » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Using Finale 2012 for PC, this has occurred several times with no explanation. I will be scoring, regularly auto-saving as well as manually saving my work every few minutes, composing often for over an hour or more, when Finale crashes and all the work that I have done has disappeared. In some cases, when I go to reboot and restart Finale, when I go to open the most recently edited file through the "Open Recent File" feature, it doesn't appear at all.

This is becoming not only a frustrating issue, but also an expensive one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any help will not only be immensely appreciated, but will probably preserve my sanity as well.
:shock:

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:51 pm

Merbert wrote:Using Finale 2012 for PC, this has occurred several times with no explanation. I will be scoring, regularly auto-saving as well as manually saving my work every few minutes…
If I understand you correctly, you are using Finale's "built in" autosave feature.

An idea:
Disable Finale's autosave feature, and save only manually.
Finale's autosave sometimes kicks in at an inconvenient moment when Finale is busy doing something else - and that is a known culprit of crashes.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Merbert

Post by Merbert » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:37 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Merbert wrote:Using Finale 2012 for PC, this has occurred several times with no explanation. I will be scoring, regularly auto-saving as well as manually saving my work every few minutes…
If I understand you correctly, you are using Finale's "built in" autosave feature.

An idea:
Disable Finale's autosave feature, and save only manually.
Finale's autosave sometimes kicks in at an inconvenient moment when Finale is busy doing something else - and that is a known culprit of crashes.
Thank you Peter. I have been manually and auto-saving, and the manual saves disappeared as well. It's certainly a counter-intuitive fix! I'll try it tonight as I am up against a deadline.

istpoir
Finale Version: Finale 2012 MAC
Operating System: Windows

Post by istpoir » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:18 pm

:cry: I just experienced problems while making minor changes to a file that I had successfully saved previously. When I tried to save my changes I got a message saying there was a problem trying to open TemporaryFileSave. I had to select DoNotSave in order to exit; I figured I would simply open the previously saved file again and redo my minor changes. However, now the file has completely disappeared. The bak.mus file is a much, much older version. Ack - has this file really been wiped out for good?