music without barlines

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

soundartist
Finale Version: 2010 for Mac

Post by soundartist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello,

I'm wondering how I can switch from barlines to just one phrase to be written without barlines, and then resuming barlines as usual.
I'm sure there's already an answer somewhere for my question, but I only found posts for music to be written without barlines from beginning to end.
Thanks in advance, Julian

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm

Forgot to add, that I tried using the Staff Tool and checked off "Barlines" which did eliminate the barlines, but my document is still inserting rests which I tried to delete but it's not permitting me to. I'm looking for a way to write a recitative phrase and then resume to regular time signature and barlines.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Are you still using Finale 2010?

To make just a region of the document display without barlines, use a staff style that hides barlines and time signatures.

You will still see some horizontal spacing around the invisible barlines, but you can remove that spacing with one of Jari Williamson's plug-ins:
JW Meter and Rhythm
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Thank you—I almost have it thanks to your instructions. My only remaining problem is that whole rests continue to be posted and I can't delete them. My recitative phrase contains only notes, no rests, and the rests being posted are getting in the way of my notes.
Do you know how to get rid of these rests? Yes, I'm using Finale 2010.
Thanks again, Julian

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:46 pm

Never mind—I think it's correct now. I just re-wrote the phrase and the rests were not getting in the way.
Thank you again for your help.
Peter Thomsen wrote:Are you still using Finale 2010?

To make just a region of the document display without barlines, use a staff style that hides barlines and time signatures.

You will still see some horizontal spacing around the invisible barlines, but you can remove that spacing with one of Jari Williamson's plug-ins:
JW Meter and Rhythm

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Sorry—I replied too soon, still having a problem: I managed to write in the notes without problems. After the recitative, I went back to Staff Attributes and checked the boxes for "time signature" and "barlines" to restore them, and it placed barlines in the recitative episode. I have Finale 2010 and could not find the JW plugin that you mentioned—I only have the Patterson plugins. I went through them and didn't find anything there.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am

1) Do not use the Staff Attributes.
Staff Attributes are "global" = for all the measures of the entire document.
Instead, use a custom staff style, and apply that staff style only to the selected region where you need notation without barlines.

In the custom staff style, de-select
Display Rests in Empty Measures (perhaps only if it is necessary, to avoid the whole rests)
Barlines
Time Signatures

2) You can download Jari Williamson's plug-ins from this web site:
http://www.finaletips.nu/
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:59 am

Thank you very much for this advice—shall try it and give results.
Best, Julian