Third Staff Missing Notes after using Fit Measures tool

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

soundartist
Finale Version: 2010 for Mac

Post by soundartist » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi,
I'm using Finale 2010. I wrote a piece for piano which uses an extra third treble-clef staff at different points in the piece. After setting up the score for 3 staves, I optimized after completing the piece and the score correctly eliminated the spots where the third staff only had rests. The problem came when I was trying to use the Fit Measures tool. I used this tool to increase the number of measures per line in one part of the piece where there are not many notes (this part does not use a third staff). When I did this, all the notes on the third staff—across the entire piece—disappeared. They re-appeared only when I clicked "undo". Any advice on solving this problem?
As usual, thank you in advance, Julian

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Do all of your layout before optimizing. The optimizing stays with the systems, not with the measures. What is happening is that as you shift measures from staff to staff, they are shoved into or out of your optimized systems.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:25 pm

I see. When you say to complete the layout before optimizing, I assume this means to do all the fitting of measures and whatever else is required before optimizing, correct? Is there a way to "de-optimize", then fit my measures properly, and then to re-optimize afterward?
Thank you, Julian

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Yes. There is a command to remove optimization, although I can't tell you exactly where.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

soundartist

Post by soundartist » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Thank you, problem solved: After you mentioned that it is possible, I looked in the window that pops up within the "Optimize Staff Systems" menu and the option to remove optimization was right there.