Cannot delete tempo marking

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Jules68
Finale Version: Finale 2006 PC
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jules68 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:43 pm

I am using Finale 2006 on a PC. I'm working on a large-scale orchestral composition. I needed to copy and paste a measure, and that measure had "Allegro (quarter=108)" over it (in all staves). Subsequently, the pasted measure did too. I tried to delete the pasted temp marking, but could not. Thinking nothing of it, I deleted the text so it would be invisible.

I had to copy and paste many more times, and today noticed that Finale kept freezing up, as well as taking forever to do simple things. I've figured out that the reason for this is probably the fact that I now have an invisible "Allegro (quarter=108)" over like 80 bars in all staves.

And I can't delete any of them.

If I try to move the tempo marking, it moves but leaves a duplicate in the same place. I kept moving them to see what would happen and ended up with like 50 duplicates of the same tempo marking from one bar. Delete does nothing, clear entries does nothing. I don't want to delete the bars.

Help?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried restarting the computer? That's often a good start when things slow down, and don't work as they used to.

You might also try using the filter, to copy those measures without the tempo expression. Then delete the originals.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Jules68
Finale Version: Finale 2006 PC

Post by Jules68 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I have tried restarting my computer as well as finale.

As for the copying without expressions, I looked that up and I'm not sure Finale 2006 can do that. If it can, I'm not sure how, although that may be the solution to my problem!

Would you mind explaining step by step how to go about copying without expressions?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:47 am

I'm not familiar with the features in 2006, as I was still using PrintMusic until 2010. In the current versions, there is an option to Use Filter. Is there anything about "filter" in your help files?
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:21 pm

It was 8 years ago, but I vaguely seem to remember that Finale 2006 had a Mass Edit Tool.

When you were in the Mass Edit Tool, there was a Mass Edit menu.
And I think that one of the menu items in the Mass Edit menu was called "Items to Copy…"
- or something like that.

In later Finale versions the Selection Tool and the Mass Edit Tool are merged together into one powerful tool called the Selection Tool.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996