bad copy pastes

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jsphweid

Post by jsphweid » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 am

I'll elaborate with a video if I need it, but basically, and almost randomly, Finale mis-pastes stuff that I copy. For example, I'll copy a bar of part of a melody and paste it in the next bar over. The rhythms are preserved, and contour, but it is at a different pitch level AND a whole new MODE... (c major melody is now octatonic, or something).

I use canonic utilities a lot and maybe certain measures are tainted with some data. I'm not sure. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 pm

It can be difficult to diagnose something blindly with nothing to look at.
Please attach a (small) copy of the Finale document so we can take a look at, what might be causing the problem.
Otherwise, we can only guess.

Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

To reduce the file size, you could e. g. delete the notes.
We only need to examine the empty measures.

Meanwhile, here are some guesses:

Something like what you describe, could happen if you copy/paste between different key signatures, e. g. from C major to A minor.
Another culprit could be copying between different Staff Attributes, copying between different
Staff Transpositions, or something like that.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jsphweid

Post by jsphweid » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:51 pm

OK. Attached. Finale 2012c. Good luck. It's a weird problem. Apparently, if I take away 3 of the 4 instruments, leaving only 1 left, the problem disappears....

On second thought, copying instrument 1 measure 1 to measure 2 has problems. Copying all instruments measure 1 to 2 works perfectly. THEN, if I try to copy just the first instrument, it seems to be "fixed." Any ideas why it behaves this way?
Attachments
copy paste problem.zip
copy paste problem, in zip
(53.25 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:32 pm

Quoting myself:
Peter Thomsen wrote:…Something like what you describe, could happen if you copy/paste between different key signatures, e. g. from C major to A minor…
This is exactly what is happening here:
Measure 1 is in the key signature of A minor, measure 2 is in the key of C major.
If you change the key signature so that both measures are in the same key, you can copy/paste freely.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jsphweid

Post by jsphweid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:13 am

Ah, you're right. I totally neglected that even when you said it first-off because I definitely didn't change keys in the document.

But... I found out that one of the default documents that I used for this (and that I created myself) had some random C major, A minor key switch in it (which is obviously hard to tell...!)

Thanks,