Finale breaks grace-notes with two note-heads

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm

I use Finale 2012c.r13 on a Mac mini with OSX 10.8.5.

I am writing a trio with a piano part. In it, there is a dyad B'' - E''' to be played as an acciacatura, slurred down to a long F#''. The two notes of the dyad are to be played simultaneously. But Finale breaks them downwards, so that one hears E''' - B'' - F#'' in quick succession. What can I do to prevent the grace-note dyad being broken in this way?

(I should have liked to attach a fragment of the music in .mus or .pdf format, but I am not allowed to do that.)
Michael Graubart.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 pm

In order to post a .mus file on this forum, it must be compressed (zipped) and the total size must be under 100KB.

I can confirm that behavior. It also happens in 2010, and 2014.

Submit it to Finale Tech Support, thought their website.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

michael graubart

Post by michael graubart » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:00 am

I can now answer my own question! The (not entirely satisfactory) answer to the breaking of the grace-note dyad is to set 'Human Playback' to 'None'. But that raises a wider question: why did anyone ever think that a 'human', whether a standard human or a classical human or any other kind of human other than a demented human would want to interpret a dyadic acciacatura as a pair of successive notes when descending, though not when ascending? Romantically breaking a big sustained chord is one thing, but this...?

By 'anyone' I mean the Finale programmers!
Michael Graubart.