New Real Book Chords font annotation?

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

814jazzer
Finale Version: Mac 2012c.r13
Operating System: Windows

Post by 814jazzer » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi, folks

***Finale Mac 2012

I'm using the "New Real Book Chords" font for lead sheets. I don't even remember where I found it, but, boy, is it beautiful!

Anyhow, the forward-slash character "/" does not space properly when used in a chord symbol. For instance, in an "F/A" chord symbol, the "/" collides with the "A." Its baseline is also too low.
font collision.png
font collision.png (7.76 KiB) Viewed 4860 times
I've done the obvious cosmetic workaround: creating a text expression of the "/" and inserting it in between "F" and "A" chord symbols. But this does not address the issue, and I'd rather have this font behave properly in the chord tool just as any standard font would.

I've also messed a bit with the font annotation, but (1) the changes I made did not affect this collision and (2) I don't really understand the .FAN business anyhow.

Can anyone advise on how I might get this font to behave properly?

Thanks!
~ Rick
Rick Hirsch
http://www.hirschmusic.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It might be a good idea to …

- ask your question in the Macintosh forum on MakeMusic’s web site - some of the users there might have experience with using the font.

- ask the folks at MakeMusic’s Tech Support - even if they do not know the font, they might have some suggestions for you.

I could be wrong here, but I do not think that .FAN files have anything to do with the display of chord symbols.
My guess is that you need to open the font in a font editor, and adjust some settings for the forward-slash character.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

814jazzer
Finale Version: Mac 2012c.r13
Operating System: Windows

Post by 814jazzer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:52 pm

Peter -

Ack! Sorry for doltishly posting in the wrong forum. I thought I had clicked into the Mac forum, but that may have been before I created user ID.

Thanks for your suggestions, and for going easy on me. :-)

Best,
Rick
Rick Hirsch
http://www.hirschmusic.com