PlayBack control does continue running after end of piece

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Claudel
Finale Version: 2014d.v5545
Operating System: Mac

Post by Claudel » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:15 pm

Since I have 2014b and 2014d (don't remember for 2014) my playback control doesn't stop running i.e. the time runner continues running. I need to stop the playback from running manually by clicking the stop button after the end of the piece… Strange bug. Finale playback engine does not recognize the end of a piece !

Does anyone here have the same issue?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
Kind regards,
Claude
Use Finale 2014dv5545 on iMac Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8Go RAM / OS Yosemite 10.10.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 am

Welcome to the forum!
Claudel wrote:Since I have 2014b and 2014d (don't remember for 2014) my playback control doesn't stop running i.e. the time runner continues running….
OK, the time runner continues running.

What about the measure runner?
Does the measure runner stop - or continue running?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Claudel

Post by Claudel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:17 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:Welcome to the forum!
Claudel wrote:Since I have 2014b and 2014d (don't remember for 2014) my playback control doesn't stop running i.e. the time runner continues running….
OK, the time runner continues running.

What about the measure runner?
Does the measure runner stop - or continue running?
The measure runner stops i.e. the green bar stops at the end of last measure while the timer continues running.
The system stays in PlayBack mode and to continue working in Finale I need to stop manually the playback to make the timer stop running before getting back in Finale editor.
Kind regards,
Claude
Use Finale 2014dv5545 on iMac Processor 3,06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 8Go RAM / OS Yosemite 10.10.3

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:50 am

Claudel wrote:…The measure runner stops i.e. the green bar stops at the end of last measure while the timer continues running…
I am sorry.
I have expressed myself unclearly.

By my words “measure runner” I did not mean the vertical bar that runs through the measures, but rather the field next to the time runner.
See the attached screen shot.
PlaybackControls.jpg
PlaybackControls.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 7082 times
You tell that the “time runner continues running“.
What about the field next to the time runner (= the field showing measure number and beat).
Does that “measure number and beat” field, too, continue running?

Claudel

Post by Claudel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:36 am

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Claudel wrote:…The measure runner stops i.e. the green bar stops at the end of last measure while the timer continues running…
I am sorry.
I have expressed myself unclearly.

By my words “measure runner” I did not mean the vertical bar that runs through the measures, but rather the field next to the time runner.
See the attached screen shot.
PlaybackControls.jpg
You tell that the “time runner continues running“.
What about the field next to the time runner (= the field showing measure number and beat).
Does that “measure number and beat” field, too, continue running?
YES it continue running as well.
A piece with for example 23 measures (4 beats) will indicate in measure box: 23/5/xxxxxx i.e. it indicates the right number of measures in the piece, the beat number should be 4 but goes up to 5 ( ! ) and the last number continues running for ever… if not stopped manually.
Kind regards,
Claude

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:31 am

Claudel wrote:…YES it continue running as well.
A piece with for example 23 measures (4 beats) will indicate in measure box: 23/5/xxxxxx i.e. it indicates the right number of measures in the piece, the beat number should be 4 but goes up to 5 ( ! ) and the last number continues running for ever… if not stopped manually.
First, try an Update Layout (Utilities menu).
I could be wrong here, but I fear that the playback problem still exists after an Update Layout.

If the problem still exists, then I suspect that there is something wrong about the last measure.

Try this - on a backup copy of the document:
Switch to Scroll View (FYI: You can not view the document in Scroll View
while you are in the Page Layout Tool).

Navigate to the last measure.
Delete the last measure (Selection Tool, double-click, and hit delete).
Then try a playback again.
What happens this time?
Does the problem still exist - or is it gone?

If the problem is gone, then everything is fine, except that you do not hear the music from the measure, you deleted.
Add a measure to the document (Edit menu), and enter the missing music.

Claudel

Post by Claudel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:53 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Claudel wrote:…YES it continue running as well.
First, try an Update Layout (Utilities menu).
I could be wrong here, but I fear that the playback problem still exists after an Update Layout.

If the problem still exists, then I suspect that there is something wrong about the last measure.

Try this - on a backup copy of the document:
Switch to Scroll View (FYI: You can not view the document in Scroll View
while you are in the Page Layout Tool).

Navigate to the last measure.
Delete the last measure (Selection Tool, double-click, and hit delete).
Then try a playback again.
What happens this time?
Does the problem still exist - or is it gone?

If the problem is gone, then everything is fine, except that you do not hear the music from the measure, you deleted.
Add a measure to the document (Edit menu), and enter the missing music.
Fyi: For the example I use the piece "Invention N°1 of JS Bach that's given in the Repertoire (File /Open Worksheets & Repertoire / "Folder in which r it has been stored by default" / Finale Files / Worksheets & Repertoire / Repertoire / Classical / Piano Keyboard / Invention N°1) - Folder & File provided along with the 2014 release.
But the same is true for any piece (my own or some ours from various sources).
Actually the piece is 22 measures long and not 23. Sorry for the mix. This means, the green bar coming at the end of the piece the counter "Measure" goes to 23 and the timer continues as indicated earlier (see above). All should stop right before 23| 1|0000.

Trial-1: Update Layout (Utilities menu).
Result: same issue. No change.

Trial-2: Switch to Scroll View on a backup. Delete (Select / Edit / Cut) last measure.
Result: same issue. No change. Measure number goes up to 22 (document has only 21 measures now after the delete), the beat number goes up to 5 and the EDU (?) number runs for ever.

Thanks for help
Claude
Kind regards,
Claude

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:51 pm

I am unable to duplicate your problem in my own copy of Finale 2014d.
As a test I tried playback of Invention N°1, and playback stopped correctly after the end of the piece.

Since your problem happens in all documents, I suspect that the culprit is not document specific.

It could be hardware specific, or software specific - perhaps associated with your (french?)
version of Mac OS X.

I suggest that you contact the folks in Tech Support at MakeMusic (via MakeMusic’s web site).

Claudel

Post by Claudel » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:22 pm

If others do not have the same issue then it might be due to my settings or OS.

I will contact the support.

Thanks for the help.

Claude
Kind regards,
Claude