Crescendos/Decrescendos Shifting

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

E-Rich
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Mac

Post by E-Rich » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello,
I am currently using my school's updated version of Finale 2014. The score I am working on has 44 staves and, in the most recent measures I have been working on, some parts have been made independent of time signature to facilitate polymeter (12/8 against 4/4 with the dotted quarter equal to the quarter). Unfortunately, the score has recently begun glitching as well. Whenever I shift the page, both in page and scroll views, crescendos and decrescendos that I have added will shift or extend. This is not just a visual problem: when I print or playback the score, they do not "snap" back into the correct spot. Any ideas on how I can approach this correcting this problem?

Erich

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Your problem is a well known issue in scores with independent time signatures.

If you examine, in what staves (time signatures) you are having problems with the hairpin positions, then you will see a clear pattern.

As a quick fix I suggest that you
- attach the hairpin to a staff (time signature) that does not have the problem,
- copy the hairpin to the staff where you need it. (Use the Copy Filter)

A more permanent solution (which will require more work):

In the staves with independent time signature, keep the {real time signature}, and only use the independent time signature as a {display time signature}.
Enter the notes as hidden tuples.
An example:
Make he real time signature a 12/8 time signature.
In the staves with independent time signature (= 4/4), keep the 12/8 as the real time signature, but let it display as 4/4.
Enter the 4/4 notes as hidden tuples (2 Halves in the space of 3 Halves).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996