Text blocks are flying away!!

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

DrPangloss
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by DrPangloss » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm running 2014 on Windows 10, and whenever I enter a text block if I try to move it, it gets swept to the left off the screen, no matter which direction I move my mouse. It happens when I try to use my laoptop's trackpad, too, and both are functioning perfectly outside of Finale. I've tried creating a new text block, I've tried holding "shift" as I drag the text block...I am at a loss!!!

UPDATE: the text block is attached to a pick-up measure, could that really make a difference?
Last edited by DrPangloss on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:45 pm

I think that we need to see an actual Finale document.
Without seeing an actual Finale document we can only guess.

I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name Extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

DrPangloss
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by DrPangloss » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 pm

Unfortunately, it's a huge document and it's not happening EVERY time, but when it does happen to a specific text block, there's no way around it. I'm on a tight deadline right now and I just can't take the time to make a new smaller document in the hopes that this glitch will occur again. But I do understand that you would need to see it, so I'll just figure out a work-around for now until I finish this project.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:03 am

DrPangloss wrote:…UPDATE: the text block is attached to a pick-up measure, could that really make a difference?
Indeed, the pick measure could be the culprit.
This is a well known bug.
Workaround:
Create the pickup measure with the Time Signature Tool - instead of using the feature “Pickup Measure”.

There are several good reasons to avoid the “Pickup Measure” feature, and instead create pickup measures with the Time Signature Tool.
You have just experienced one of the reasons.

Another reason is that the “Pickup Measure” pickup does not play back correctly; it plays back as a full measure with some invisible rests at the beginning of the measure.
On The Other Hand, the “Time Signature Tool” pickup displays correctly, and plays back correctly.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996