Fonts not embedding in PDFs

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

outtahere
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by outtahere » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:07 pm

Finale 2014.5/Windows 10

When I export to PDF the only fonts to embed are the Finale music fonts and Arial. My Goudy, Bodoni, and TimesEuropaRoman are all represented by musical symbols. It looks kind of cool but it's not really very helpful for proofreading. I opened the PDF in Wordpad and checked. I opened in Acrobat Pro and checked. What the hey? Also the file is gigantic; 6.2 Megs as oppose to 770K for the MS generated PDF.

Is there a place to tell Finale where to look for fonts? Is it because they're Type 1 fonts? Is it a Win10 problem? The new MS PDF driver doesn't allow custom sizes or have normal (American) music publishing sizes available. There *is* a work around for that, but I've been using Export to PDF for a very long time with no problems.

Please don't suggest I use a different third-party PDF creator, I know I can do that. I'm looking for an actual solution.

Any help?

thanks

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!
dfetherolf wrote:…Please don't suggest I use a different third-party PDF creator, I know I can do that. I'm looking for an actual solution…
Which “third-party PDF creator” are you using?
It is not clear from your post.

I suppose that you by your words “an actual solution” mean a solution that works with the “third party PDF creator” you are using, right?

In order to help we need to know the PDF program you are using.
We also need to know the steps you are following, when you create PDF files.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:57 am

You might also want to contact Tech support.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

outtahere

Post by outtahere » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:01 pm

"When I export to PDF the only fonts to embed are the Finale music fonts and Arial. "

I want a solution that works with Finale's "Export to PDF".

In my hours of searching for a solution before posting, the most common answer to any problems with "Export to PDF", problems I've never experienced at all, is "There have always been problems with export to PDF, you should use a different PDF creator." The most often recommended one is CutePDF. I suppose because it's free. Hence my asking to not suggest that.

Also, as I mentioned in my post, Windows now has MS's own "print to PDF" solution, which is what I used (after rewriting the driver file to expand the print size possibilities) to see if I could print from Finale that way. I can. That solves my immediate problem and, in fact, is a long term solution.

However, I'd still like to get to the bottom of why Finale's own Export to PDF is behaving in this fashion, see if it's unique to my set up, and alert others about it.

If it's beyond the scope of this forum I'll go to tech support.

Thanks again

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Very simply, Finale's Export to PDF has never worked well, either on Windows or Mac. That's why we recommend the third-party PDF creator for Windows, and the built-in OS print to PDF, for Mac.

It's not peculiar to your setup, and you can dig all you want. PDF creation native in Finale has been broken, is broken, and probably will continue to be broken.

The only mystery is why Finale continues to offer it, especially now that both Mac and Windows can do it themselves.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

outtahere

Post by outtahere » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks,

Guess I've been lucky for all these years right up until I changed my setup.
Interesting coincidence, that.

d