Barlines through staves

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

noamzur
Finale Version: 2010
Operating System: Windows

Post by noamzur » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi all,

I've extracted parts out of a score in which there are some "Divisi". In the score, each of these parts was a seperate sub-group (i.e. Violin I 1&2, etc.)

Once I've started working on and spacing the parts so they are readable and playable, I noticed there are no barlines between the staves on those systems that have the divisi places. I optimized the systems so only those places that are needed actually have both staves, of course.
I tried adding a new group, plus everything else I know to do in the settings, but it didn't work.
The only thing I managed to do was close the barline at the end of each system through the document options - which helps a bit, but is not what I am looking for.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?
Many thanks

Noam

Using Finale 2010 for Windows

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:57 pm

Welcome to the forum!

To find the culprit the fastest way is probably that you attach an actual (small) Finale 2010 sample document here.
We only need to see an empty document.
You can safely delete all the notes, and clear all the libraries with articulations, expressions, &c.

This forum does not accept attachments with the Finale file name extension.
Before you can attach a Finale document in this forum, you must compress it, e. g. as a .zip file.
And the file size must not be more than max. 100 KB.

Without seeing an actual Finale document we can only guess.

Here is a quick guess:
Take a look in the Staff Attributes for the lower staff.
Is the option “Break Barlines Between Staves” selected or de-selected?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

noamzur

Post by noamzur » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:13 pm

Thanks Peter.

I checked your suggestion (even though I tried that first) and that wasn't it... here is a sample file in which I simply deleted the music I wrote.

Strangely enough - in scroll view I can see the barlines going through the staves, but not in page view.

Will be happy to hear your input.
Thanks again
Attachments
Violin part sample.zip
(80.99 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:00 pm

When you view the document in Page View, you can see a special icon at the right end of each system.
The icon means that “Allow Individual Staff Spacing” is toggled on in that particular system.

Try this:

Page Layout Tool.
Click the first system to select it.
Page Layout menu > Systems > Allow Individual Staff Spacing (de-select this option)

When I de-select “Allow Individual Staff Spacing”, in your attached document, the group barlines appear.
Selecting “Allow Individual Staff Spacing” again makes the “Allow Individual Staff Spacing” icon appear again, but the group barlines do not disappear.

It should be added that optimization is easier in Finale 2011 and later.

Finale 2010 was developed 7 years ago.
Perhaps it is time that you upgrade to a newer version…
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

noamzur

Post by noamzur » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:17 pm

That did it!
Many many thanks.

I've thought of updating, but it's a financial question at the moment, and since I don't get around to composing/orchestrating THAT often (unfortunately)... I've decided to stick with the 2010 that I started writing on in the first place.
I may have another look into a newer version at some point, though