Finale destroys dotted notes

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jwocrc
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by jwocrc » Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Ok, that might be over-stating it, but when I write a note, that is the note I write, and it is time consuming to have to go back and manually correct all my notations every time Finale does any kind of editing. It takes every instance of a dotted note and converts it all to the note in normal value, tied to a note of half its value. This makes the notation harder to read and cumulatively it takes up a lot of wasted space. It upsets pages.

What do I have to do to get Finale to stop doing this useless, irritating and unnecessary operation? It seems to me that if the notation is respecting the notes as input, it ought to realize that a dotted half-note if fundamentally different from a half-note tied to a quarter-note, but Finale is obviously unable to discern this.

Jim Oppenheimer

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu May 12, 2016 11:24 pm

In the MIDI/Audio menu, Quantization Settings>More Settings... make sure that the "Allow Dotted Rests in Simple Meters" and "Allow Dotted Rests in Compound Meters" are checked.

Yes, I know you asked about notes, not rests. But that's the way the program works.

If that doesn't help, please post a short segment of a chart where that happens, so we can look it over. In order to post a file on this forum, it must be compressed (zipped) and the total size must be under 100KB.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

jwocrc
Finale Version: 2014.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by jwocrc » Sat May 14, 2016 11:37 pm

I knew there had to be a way.

Thanks.

Very. Much.