how to insert multiple 512th notes for gliss in finale 2012?

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Purricane
Finale Version: Finale 2012a
Operating System: Windows

Post by Purricane » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:01 pm

Finale 2012a
Windows

Am trying to replicate a chart for easier reading for a beginner piano student. I cannot replicate the scored gliss, and do not know which scoring application the free chart provider originally used. For now, I'm inserting small graphics scanned from the original chart. I tried making a midi file from the chart, but SharpEye2 also couldn't read it and replicate.

I've attached image of original chart, and image of my Finale file with the graphic image inserted. I don't like it because it has to be reduced in size to fit the measure (covering up a quarter note to allow measure space for placement), and doesn't match staff lines/spaces.

Can't seem to figure out how to add the gliss notes as originally written, any help appreciated.

Sue
Attachments
FinaleScoreExample.gif
This is from my Finale file with inserted graphics.
FinaleScoreExample.gif (88.38 KiB) Viewed 5677 times
OriginalScoreExample.gif
This is from the original score I'm replicating but reducing to melody single staff.
OriginalScoreExample.gif (59.32 KiB) Viewed 5682 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:28 am

I would enter the notes as grace notes.

There is no need to enter the grace notes as 512th notes (with 7 beams).

I would enter the grace notes as 32nd notes (with 3 beams).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Purricane

Post by Purricane » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks, Peter, but that doesn't seem to work. I deleted the quarter note so that I had a dotted quarter then an eighth; inserted thirteen 32nd notes (per the thirteen notes in original chart) and then with Speedy Entry (per User Manual) changed them all to grace notes with ";" but Finale inserts and sees them only as a vertical stack of notes like a chord and changed them all together. I'd to show as original chart like a scale rather than chord. Then the error message says "too many beats in bar" but gives option to leave bar as-is which I did. Now it has a bunch of rests and I cannot put in the quarter note. Images attached

I've also tried deleting all notes in the bar and re-entering with the dotted quarter, then the 32nd notes, but can then not add any further notes and keep getting error message about too many beats. Also tried with 128th notes, same thing. Strange that the original chart, in whatever app it was created in, can have a dotted quarter, plus a quarter, plus an eighth, plus the 512ths gliss. Is there some kind of plug-in required or a work-around for glisses such as that?

Thanks so much for replying, much appreciated.

Sue
Attachments
OriginalScoreLikeScale.gif
OriginalScoreLikeScale.gif (57.12 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
FinaleScoreWithGraceNotes.gif
FinaleScoreWithGraceNotes.gif (21.73 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
FinaleScoreGraphicRemoved.gif
FinaleScoreGraphicRemoved.gif (22.33 KiB) Viewed 5646 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Sue, I can not explain why the grace notes do not work for you.

You tell that Finale inserts and sees the grace notes “only as a vertical stack of notes like a chord”, right?

I am unable to duplicate your grace note problem.
See the attached Finale 2012 document.
glissando.mus.zip
(4.46 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
If everything else fail, you could copy/paste my example into your own document.

Meanwhile, have you tried the Simple Entry Tool?
With the Simple Entry Tool you can enter notes via keyboard, (computer keyboard or MIDI keyboard), and you can also enter notes via clicking.

Perhaps it is easier for you to click-enter the grace notes.

Peter

Purricane

Post by Purricane » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:03 am

Wonderful, thank you, Peter. I've copy/paste and transposed for additional bars, beat-spaced, added gliss and the harmony notes, it now looks much better. Much appreciated! Don't know why my app did the grace notes so weird (tried again, still same vertical layout), or why I couldn't put in a bunch of notes like you did. But, the file accepted your measures pasted in, so I'm lucky!

BTW, I entered the grace notes per User Manual:
***Begin Copy***
To create a grace note (Speedy Entry)
Enter the grace notes as “normal” notes.
Click the Speedy Entry tool image\Speedy_Entry_Tool.gif and click the measure in question. The editing frame appears.
Using the arrow keys, position the cursor on the note you want to change to a grace note, and press the semicolon (;) or the G key. The note becomes a grace note. On playback, the grace note will play just ahead of the beat—even if there are many grace notes together, forming a run. To change a grace note to a normal note, repeat the above procedure.
***End Copy***

Sue
Attachments
FinaleScoreGlissWorks!.gif
FinaleScoreGlissWorks!.gif (99.08 KiB) Viewed 5623 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:22 am

Sue,

1) I am sorry.
In the example I attached, I had only 11 grace notes.
If you download my document again, you will now see 13 grace notes.

2) The instructions in the manual are right, but it should be added that a string of many grace notes together, forming a run, can be automatically beamed together if you turn the “normal” notes into grace notes in reverse order.
Begin with the last note, and then work your way back through the run.

Purricane

Post by Purricane » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:08 am

Thanks VERY much, Peter, I really appreciate your help!

I got it done ok with the first example you sent, needed it for today. I'll keep the second example for future use. Tried again with the grace notes, but it still stacks at the moment. Next time I shut down everything, I'll try again. If all else fails, I have these examples to use.

All the best to you.

Sue

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:08 am

Purricane wrote:…I got it done ok with the first example you sent, needed it for today…
Just be aware that the high quarter-note is a third too low (because there are 11 grace notes, not 13).