Smart Shape gremlin

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Stephen R
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Stephen R » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:32 pm

When I select Smart Shape, e.g., to place a crescendo hairpin, Finale substitutes a different smartshape -- which cannot be changed -- and then places another different shape in the score. So, for example: select "crescendo" (which lights up on the toolbar); cursor shows a curved line; when clicked, a glissando appears. Can't find a fix for this. Any suggestions?

Stephen R
Finale 2012 (Windows)

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Welcome to the forum!

My first guess would be that the culprit is a (physically or electronically) stuck key on the computer keyboard, triggering a metatool.

Please specify the steps you've already taken, so that we can rule out things.
Have you e. g. re-booted?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Stephen R
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Stephen R » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:18 pm

Thank you for replying! Yep, I've re-booted. The keyboard is okay -- no stuck keys -- and I haven't found this problem with any other software/application. Can't speak to an electronically-stuck key, not sure how I would know. However, at times the tool works properly when I first open the score to work; but then reverts to the problem after I've worked & saved a few times.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Stephen R wrote:… Can't speak to an electronically-stuck key, not sure how I would know. However, at times the tool works properly when I first open the score to work; but then reverts to the problem after I've worked & saved a few times.
Usually a re-boot will fix an electronically stuck key.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996