Staff tool glitch?

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 pm

When I get to page 5 of my piano score and try to adjust the distance between the staves of each system with the staff tool, all the music disappears when I click and hold on any staff handle, leaving only the staves and the distance indicators behind. When I let go, the music reappears. This does not happen on pages 1-4, but does happen in all page view styles. It makes adjusting the distance between the staves a blind art starting on page 5.

Anyone else have what seems to be some kind of strange memory issue in 2014.5, and if so, a workaround? I wish I could take a screen shot if it, but this is impossible since it only appears with the mouse depressed and held.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm

I think I just found the answer to my problem. I have large text blocks at the bottom of each page. When I reduce the size of the text blocks, the problem goes away. Apparently the text blocks eat up a lot of memory or something, at least on my setup, which seems very strange, but I did notice that the response in editing the text blocks had gotten quite slow with the larger blocks.

In any case, Finale's text tool very badly needs an upgrade from many points of view.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:58 am

I actually have less trouble with the text tool, than almost anything else! Lyrics, on the other hand...
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 am

Strangely, I recently had one page in a full score file (a scene from an opera) which behaved in this way, while the pages both before and after behaved correctly. I don't know why, and there's nothing specially different about the contents or layout of the offending page that I can see.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Mike, this is probably pie-in-the sky, but I need a text tool that has the basic capabilities of a page layout program; kerning and hyphenation, for example. And there appears to be a new problem with the tool: when I try adjust the margins of a text block in 2014.5 I can't see the margin moving; it stays put until I release the mouse and the margin suddenly appears in the new location. There need to be more musical symbols easily inserted and the capability of inserting actual musical examples within Finale itself so they are editable within the text tool box etc.

David, thanks for verifying the issue. So the offending page didn't have more text than the others? What I mentioned has seemed to correct the problem, but maybe it is really something else…?
www.cantilenapress.com

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:03 pm

John,
Yes, what you want is definitely beyond what Finale can do!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society