Very thorny Type 1 font embedding in Acrobat issue

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

dgooding

Post by dgooding » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:26 pm

I'm a sheet music publisher, and my printer/distributor has held up printing for months because of font issues that now exist and didn't used to be a problem.

Hal Leonard Corp, my printer/distributor and one of the biggest US sheet music distributors, has Adobe-standard printing equipment. We have been sending them Acrobat files for about 4 years with no problems. They are now telling me that only Type 1 fonts, embedded in the Acrobat files, will be acceptable.

And Finale is embedding Maestro or Jazz TrueType fonts.

About 2 weeks ago I realized through research that upgrading to Acrobat Professional would allow me to pre-flight the files and figure out what the heck he was talking about. And indeed, I saw that the Acrobat files...

1) had Truetype versions of Maestro or Jazz fonts from Finale

2) pre-flight was calling these Truetype fonts Type 0 in the summary information - which I learned is a composite font.

Finale technical support told me that:

1) the fonts hadn't changed in 5 years (which I could see was true by the date of the font files)

2) the fonts were not composite

3) postscript/Type 1 versions of the fonts were installed in c:\psfonts (which is true)

4) but he didn't know how to embed the postscript/Type 1 fonts into an Acrobat file. The exact quote (name not included) from MakeMusic customer service:

-----------------------------------------------------------
When you are saving your pdf files, Acrobat appears to only be seeing
the PostScript files. I cannot really help you in how to get it to
include the Postscript fonts instead of the TrueType fonts.
------------------------------------------------------------

In support of points 1-3, I used pre-flight in Acrobat Pro 7.0 to test some 3-year-old Acrobat files we sent to Hal Leonard, and indeed, the pre-flight said that the embedded, Truetype Maestro and/or Jazz fonts were Type 0 composite fonts.

Does anyone know how to get PC Finale to include the Postscript fonts in an Acrobat file? I say "PC Finale" because I learned today that Hal Leonard is using Finale, with Maestro and Jazz fonts, but on Macs.

I tried uninstalling the Truetype Maestro from c:\Windows\fonts and installing the Postscript Maestro there. The result was not happy - Acrobat files with all of the notes missing, and no Maestro font embedded. (Yes, in Distiller I made sure it was supposed to embed the fonts).

We also tried "save as file" for printing, saved as a .ps file, then double-clicked the file. Distiller created a file with no note heads, no Maestro font embedded.

Any ideas would be really, really appreciated. I'm offering a cappella music gift certificates to anyone who can help me solve this problem!

Don Gooding
don@a-cappella.com
President, Contemporary A Cappella Publishing
President, A-Cappella.com