Trouble when Exporting PS files and PDF in Windows XP

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

SPFM

Post by SPFM » Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:59 am

Hi there,

I am trying to export scores to pdf's but only what I have, is staves and headless notes, and other strange signs. I am using Windows XP and Finale 2003.

I tried to export PS files by Compile Potscript Listing, using Adobe PDF Printer, and when I "Include Fonts in listing", Finale 2003 crashes. When I DON'T use "Include Fonts in listing", I get the staves correct, but headless notes, no keys and other strange signs !

I have a feeling that it has to do with the fonts, and how XP transform the fonts in EPS files. The trouble comes from XP, because, when using Windows 98 SE and Finale 2003, I get the correct music and everything works fine

Any postscript expert here ? HEELP
Thks

mjolnir

Post by mjolnir » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:39 pm

On the windows side, the Postscript facilities have been broken since before FIN 2k. The most useful method I have found for creating ~.pdf files from a Finale file is

1) Download Ghostview and Ghostscript, easily located through a search of the net, and install these to your machine.

2) install a postscript printer driver and set the driver to "print to file"; this will generate a file with an extension ~.ps.

3) Ghostview will load the ~.ps file, and allow you use it to create a ~.pdf file.

Make certain that any drivers for postscript are set to "embed all fonts". If fonts are not available in the target machine, you will get unintended results.

ns