HP 5000n Printer and High Sierra

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

peerlessnerd
Finale Version: 26.3.1.643
Operating System: Mac

Post by peerlessnerd » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 am

My old 2008 Mac Pro died. That chip set did not support past El Capitan. It took significant and greatly appreciated help from Wiggy and Motet to get my HP LaserJet 5000n to print in the move from Yosemite to El Capitan back in early 2016.
Despite following those 2016 instructions for manually configuring IP addresses, my new Mac Pro under High Sierra 10.13.2 refuses to print. It “cannot find the printer” configured with the address 192.168.2.1.
I suspect printer driver 2.1 is the culprit. Driver 19.13 did work under El Capitan on the old Mac Pro but I can’t find 19.13 anywhere to download it.
But also, the configuration of the 5000n printer menus have changed to the point I can’t follow the old instructions. I must be missing a setting…
Does anybody have a LaserJet 5000n or even a 5200 printing under High Sierra? What driver are your using? The posts here concerning the 5200 look promising, but the 5200 is a more sophisticated machine than the 5000.
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Catalina 10.15.4

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:05 pm

This is not unusual with old printers. If your Mac cannot see the printer to determine which drivers set you need, you can download the entire set of current printer drivers for High Sierra here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

HP LaserJet 5000 Series is included.

I have no idea why, if you have the IP address of a network printer, your Mac can't see it.

You have phone support available so download and install the printer set, then have Apple call you and see if this can't be solved.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

peerlessnerd

Post by peerlessnerd » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks MikeHalloran above!

It is unclear if these are different drivers than I had tried before. Perhaps I am a bit better at navigating the menus on the printer. I suspect my error was not with the drivers or my printer, but creating the wrong kind of printer within System Preferences>Printers & Scanners.

Below trails an updated High Sierra version of the original post on this subject from El Capitan a couple years ago. Even after 18 years, your dinosaur LaserJet 5000 is not dead yet. It's a good thing, because replacing it is $$$$.

Success! Here is the solution to making your HP 5000n (and perhaps any 5000 series) print under High Sierra 10.13.2. My 2017 Mac Pro is connected to the printer with a typical “cat 5” cable.

Disclaimer: I am a dinosaur and need extensive hand-holding when digging into the bowels of computers, about which I know nothing. Here’s what worked for me:

1) Download the and install the drivers from this location https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US
(Thanks to MikeHalloran in the new Finale Forum!)

2) In System Preferences>Network, my Ethernet Port was 169.254.80.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0
In Configure IPv4, select “Manually” and change the IP address to 192.168.2.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (Thank you Wiggy dating to the old Finale Mac Forum days!)

3) Using the control panel buttons on the printer, navigate to the EIO1 JetDirect Menu. Change the TCP/IP Menu from the default NO to YES using the Value button and hit Select. A “*” will appear confirming your selection. You must hit the Select button at every prompt to confirm all the choices in this process.

4) Toggle to BOOTP=YES, and toggle it to read BOOTP=NO and hit Select to get the *. Using the Item switch you can now manually change the address of the printer, which for me was the default 192.0.0.192
(Though recognized under Yosemite and all the way back to Snow Leopard, El Capitan and apparently High Sierra no longer recognize this default address.)
Change the address to 192.168.2.5 (Thanks again to Wiggy.) It is a 4-step process of toggles, values, and selects. Proceed through the SM menu (Subnet Mask) with the same process. Change it to 255.255.255.0
making certain you hit Select to get that * confirming each number.
Hit “Go” to exit all the menus. For me nothing else in the printer needed configuration.

5) In System Preferences>Printers & Scanners use the + button to create a new “generic” printer. (Do not search for an HP driver. Be certain you are creating a generic printer.) Assign the address 192.168.2.5 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 to match the numbers in the printer.
It takes a while for High Sierra to configure the printer.

That fixed it for me! Be certain you are printing to your “new” printer and not your “old” printer, which was likely the default.

For my HP LaserJet 5000n built in 2000 I have been using a “generic printer driver” since Snow Leopard. There is no alternative I can find.
My machine has no JetDirect software. I have never updated my 5000n firmware.
Also, be certain your Ethernet port appears below your Wi-Fi in the Networks menu, or you will be forced to disable Wi-Fi to print.
Again, my thanks to Motet and especially Wiggy and MikeH dating to the old forum.
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Catalina 10.15.4

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:47 pm

That is correct, more or less.

When you do a major OS upgrade the printers migrate. But, when you change computers or do a clean install, your Mac talks to the printer then downloads the correct drivers. Older printers don't behave this way and the link I gave downloads everything. As explained on the page, Apple has similar links for Sierra, El Cap and Yosemite.

Not every printer company cooperates the way that HP does. My new Brother printer can use Apple's generic Air Print drivers but Brother has a more comprehensive GNU driver that you download and install—it supports many functions missing from Air Print. One of my clients has an older Canon that they stopped supporting after Mavericks and was no longer in the Apple download with Yosemite (as I found out after a clean install). Fortunately I found the Mavericks drivers on Canon's Japanese support site—they still work in El Capitán.

I did some consulting for Apple during the OS 7.x to 8.1 period when printing and scanning often didn't work well (or at all with a couple of builds). With OS 10.8.2, Apple finally got the basics right and added wireless scanning through Bonjour and that was the end of my gig.
Mike Halloran

peerlessnerd

Post by peerlessnerd » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:09 am

I don't pretend to understand any of the numbers I entered, what the various settings within the printers and OS do, or how I managed to “spoof my user agent, and reduce my 1000Base T." (If in fact that's really what happened : )

I'm simply glad we have so many here on the forum with knowledge and expertise I sorely lack who are willing to help. There's no way I could have figured this out on my own.

Thanks again MikeH!
User since Finale 1.0
Finale 26.2.0.456
Catalina 10.15.4

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:34 am

When it works, declare victory and write music!
Mike Halloran