Casio CTK-6000 MIDI input not working

Discuss technical issues with keyboards, sound, video cards, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

James Band
Finale Version: Finale 2009c
Operating System: Windows

Post by James Band » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:37 am

I can't get my Casio CTK-6000 workstation keyboard (USB MIDI) to input MIDI into Finale 25 (Windows 7 64-bit). Strangely enough, I can play back imported scores, but Speedy entry, my preference, will not take what I play on the Casio keyboard. The frame just jumps ahead with no notes appearing in the measure I was working on. Strangely enough, SOME functions in Simple Entry work, but not all. This is no good, I can't get any work done! I am using Casio MIDI as both IN and OUT (which Finale automatically recognized) in Finale MIDI setup.

Windows Device Manager tells me the unit is working properly, driver is installed BUT when I give up and close Finale, I get a little box stating "MIDI Output driver not installed" which contradicts Device Manager's report, AND seems strange since as stated, I do get MIDI output. I have been to Casio Music Forums and read that this Casio/Finale MIDI problem is widespread. What gives? :x :cry: :?:

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:10 pm

There are so many variables that unless I can see everything, I can't usually offer much.

Is the USB MIDI you mention a straight USB out to USB in?

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

James Band
Finale Version: Finale 2009c

Post by James Band » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:27 am

Hey Zuill, thanks for responding. It is USB to USB, from keyboard to computer, BUT the Casio USB OUT end of the cable coming from the keyboard is an odd looking proprietary Casio OUT that looks something like an optical plug rather than a normal USB plug (albeit marked USB, with the USB "trident" symbol). The other end, IN to my computer is a normal USB plug.

There are no standard MIDI DIN outputs on the keyboard, you can only use USB. But there are standard left/right line outs.

robertstiffler
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by robertstiffler » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:37 pm

If this is still a problem consider the following:

Casio has a "high resolution velocity" feature that modifys the "key-off" command in the midi specifications.
Google "Casio Keyboards High velocity Resolution", and understand about this feature. I have to disable this feature on my Casio PX-5s to make it work with Finale. It may be the item on page 97 of the CTK 6000 User manual (PDF file on internet)..

I'm just guessing.
Bob Stiffler